Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post subject: 1973 4001 Tuners
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:33 pm 

Hi. My first post here. Writing from sweden...

Im about to buy a 4001 bass from 1973. But the bass has non original tuners on now so the first thing is to get the tuners back to original.

This is the way the tuners looks now:
http://www.jettrocker.com/4001.jpg

I was thinking to buy this tuners:
http://www.rickenbacker.com/cart.asp?vi ... y=Keywinds

But then i discoverd this picture on a 1973 4001 Fireglo on Ebay:
http://i12.ebayimg.com/04/i/001/2a/c3/678a_1.JPG

And this picture on a 1973 4001 Mapleglo on Gbase:
http://www.gbase.com/files/store_images ... _a36f1.jpg

This tuners dont look the same. Is one non original or did rickenbacker use difreent tuners the same year? Which tuners is the correct one for a 1973 bass?

Post subject: Re: 1973 4001 Tuners
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:20 pm 

Welcome sickenricken!

'73 was a transition year - late '73 basses will have open-back Klusons, like the MG in your second picture. The current Schallers fitted to 4003s should have the same footprint (but will wind in the opposite direction).

Your 4001 had closed-back "wavy" Grovers, just like the ebay pic. These are rare and can be pretty expensive. It took me about 6 months to hunt down a set and I think I spent around $250 or so after missing three or four sets on ebay.

They do pop up on ebay every now and then, and with the current economic crisis, the price may drop a little. The 4003 tuners will probably fit, but there may be a little bit of play with the ferrules, and you'll need to sink new screw-holes into the head of the bass.

I'd wait for some Grovers and, in the meantime, the tuners you have are fine - they are very similar (if not identical) to the ones Ric uses on the 4004.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:43 pm 

If you retrofit a set of current RIC/Schaller vintage tuners to a formerly Grover equipped 4001, the lower front section of the A tuner will be exposed from the front as the screw in that area will have no wood under it. I would wait for a proper set of Grovers. In the meantime, the Schaller M4's on there now will work just fine.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:15 am 

Keep in mind that the closed back wavy grovers have a tendency to fall apart due to the way the back is riveted to the front, so make sure it's tight or it will have to be repaired. Also be sure it has 'grover usa' on it so you don't get a cheap knockoff. My 73 4001 had old schaller m4's on it but I found the correct grovers for it. I wouldn't change the schaller tuners unless you want originality.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:45 pm 

I also have the closed back 'wavy' tuners on my 4001 and a couple of them have fallen apart so I used a thin catgut line to tie them together. What is the best way to have them permanently fixed? Thanks to all who replies.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:23 am 

Do a forum search for grovers, there is a lot of info. Most common way to fix is with a nail and hammer on the pins underneath.

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish