Board index » Deja Vu

Post subject: Les Paul Dies
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:38 am 

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... AD9A263B00

Post subject: Re: Les Paul Dies
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:17 am 

Yeah

-There is a DVD on Les Paul titled "Les Paul, 'Chasing Sound'" that I rented on Netflix a couple of months back. It's in depth and truly is a "must see!"

-I hope Mr. Hall reads this Thread and perhaps can address a curio presented on this DVD.

It shows one of Paul's very old guitars. (Perhaps from 1947-1950)

On this old Gibson shown of Paul's clearly visible is a vibrola that exactly looks and functions just like the famous/infamous Kaufman vibrola Rickenbacker used in the 1950s and also of course as an oem on the 325C58! Anyone else see or notice this the DVD?

Whats the deal on this vibola. Was it a Kaufman or did others produce a vibrola just like it prior to Kaufman?

Post Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:47 am 

Back in the day Leo Fender wanted Les Paul to go with Fender to make his guitars. Les kept going to Gibson and was repeaditly turned down. So once again Leo Fender approched Les Paul about making his guitar, Les told Leo "I'm a Gibson guy and really want to go with Gibson. Let me talk to Gibson one last time. If they turn me down, then I'll go with Fender."

The rest is history...

Post Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:41 am 

What a pioneer in the music industry!

RIP Mr. Les Paul

* I did not know he was ill. I worked in the same hospital he was in just this past Monday.

Now I'm off to play a Les Paul record...

Post Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:25 pm 

What a guy.

How is this in Deja Vu already?

Post Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:17 pm 

A legend

Post Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:28 pm 

Quote:
Back in the day Leo Fender wanted Les Paul to go with Fender to make his guitars. Les kept going to Gibson and was repeaditly turned down. So once again Leo Fender approched Les Paul about making his guitar, Les told Leo "I'm a Gibson guy and really want to go with Gibson. Let me talk to Gibson one last time. If they turn me down, then I'll go with Fender."

The rest is history...

Les Paul (as per own words) also had issues with Gibson over the years. His original "Les Paul model" that Gibby produced for him in 1952 looks nothing like the iconic model we all know so well today.

-There were only about 1450 of the original Les Paul models produced, and this is the one Les Paul vastly preferred to play and indeed did up until his death. Also, Paul even modified it for himself from the oem specs such as using lower impedance pots for the volume control knobs on the guitar.

In 1959, Paul became very much disenchanted with Gibson and refused to renew his endorsement deal with them. After a year and half, he was coaxed back by Gibby and re-signed.

Oh! What Mr. Les could have down with a Ric!

Post Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:18 am 

Quote:
In 1959,Paul became very much disenchanted with Gibson and refused to renew his endorsement deal with them. After a year and half,he was coaxed back by Gibby and re-signed...

Actually Les Paul has stated that the real reason for ending relations with Gibson around 1961 was that Les was going through devorce and didn't want his earnings from sales of Les Paul guitars to be a part of the procedings.

He put it around that he didn't like the new Les Paul shape (leter called SG's) and gave that as the reason for leaving the big G.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:21 am 

Quote:
Quote:
In 1959,Paul became very much disenchanted with Gibson and refused to renew his endorsement deal with them. After a year and half,he was coaxed back by Gibby and re-signed...

Actually Les Paul has stated that the real reason for ending relations with Gibson around 1961 was that he was going through a devorce and didn't want his earnings from sales of Les Paul guitars to be a part of the procedings.

He put it around that he didn't like the new Les Paul shape (leter called SG's) and gave that as the reason for leaving the big G.

Whatever, Mr. Lester Polfus has a hell of a lot to answer for!

Post Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:54 am 

How is it in deja vu? Don't you remember the (Les) Paul is dead rumors? (I'm fully aware of how lame that was)

Board index » Deja Vu