Board index » Deja Vu

Post subject: 2007 color of year?
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:04 am 

has the color of the year for 2007 been released yet the colors of the years for past years are as follows:
2000: Sea Green
2001: Desert Gold
2002: Burgundy
2003: Montezuma Brown
2004: Montezuma Brown & Blueboy
2005: Blueburst (BBR)
2006: Amber Fireglo (AFG)

Post subject: Re: 2007 color of year?
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:49 am 

no COY this year........official !

Post Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:56 am 

The "color of the year" has been suspended for 2007.From what I've been hearing this has been done to help reduce the backlog of orders.(Apparently there's still Bluebursts from 2005 lurking around.)

Post Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:14 am 

Yeah they need to get all the BBR's done and shipped before they can think about another color of the year, in addition to all the 2006 AFG orders... I read somewhere with COY it's about 15-18 months from order to delivery.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:58 am 

We're all hopeful that the COY returns in 2008, along with the reinstatement of LH orders, and a greatly reduced backlog.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:05 pm 

This is going to lead to me getting a Grade A, Business Class, 4-star butt-kicking, so apologies in advance for any offence caused...

...would it be fair to say that the whole point of COY is to stimulate sales at a time when there are no new models in development/likely to be launched? Take the existing model, give it a special, limited-edition finish and then put it on the market?

But since RIC can't make enough models to meet demand as it stands, then surely the whole concept of COY is redundant? There is no need for it. There will always a huge demand for RICs - even if the "bread and butter" finishes were curtailed from three to two. I seem to recall Mr. Hall saying something to the effect that there was no real interest in RIC having a dynamic overseas marketing effort, since there was more than enough demand as it is. What would be the point?

I'm sure there are loads of guys on the forum who'd be more than happy to get their mitts on a "bread and butter" model, and for whom the idea of COY, while *nice*, is not an essential.

At the end of the day, it strikes me that COY is probably really of interest only to (a) collectors, who are probably tripping over Rics already while the rest of us plebs are there with our noses pressed against the shop window and (b) retailers who have some nice "grab-em-while-they're hot" items to sell on at exaggerated prices.

If Rics are as good as they're made out to be, then they don't need go-faster stripes and alloy rims to make them more desirable...

Anything that helps more of us to get our hands on these wonderful instruments *for the first time* is to be applauded.

Of course, I could be wrong...:-)

Regards,

djp

Post Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:41 pm 

Hey there "raincheck" [wink],

My right Doc Marten is staying on the floor, nowhere near your arse. I think you hit on some good points here. While I love the AFG, Monty and DCM colors, I could easily have a guitar refinished that way. I have never seen a Rickenbacker guitar as an investment to be cashed in later. I'm a player. I see them as an investment in quality that will last my lifetime of playing. Don't get me started on the Kramer Ferrington I bought after seeing Crowded House the first time. Piece of garbage plywood guitar.

I'd be more than happy to be able to place an order for a new guitar and be able to get it in 18 weeks, even if it meant no more COY. I ordered a Weber custom octave mandolin in 2000 and it took 14 grueling weeks to arrive. I can't remember how long it took when I ordered my 360 back in '89, but it was pretty quick. Those were the days.

-john

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:03 am 

Quote:
" ...
...would it be fair to say that the whole point of COY is to stimulate sales at a time when there are no new models in development/likely to be launched? Take the existing model, give it a special, limited-edition finish and then put it on the market? ... There will always a huge demand for RICs - even if the "bread and butter" finishes were curtailed from three to two. ... the idea of COY, while *nice*, is not an essential. ... COY is probably really of interest only to collectors ...

Very astute comment!

I've never been one that's been at all keen on this COY thing, but instead I'm rather huge on the V and C series reissue Rics.

If it means liberating precious factory production facilities to favor more reissue Rics at the expense over some whimsical flavor/fad of the moment COY I'm all in favor of it!

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:12 am 

I guess I'm lucky, or this is an anomally, but I just walked into the store and bought my Rick, brand new, hanging in the rack. Granted, it's a meat and potatoes 330/6 in Jetglo, but still, they have an AFG 360 with a trem as well.

They aren't in abundance like say a Strat or Less Paul (pun intended), but if you look around, it's generally not that hard to "get one in your hands for the first time"....

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:27 am 

You're right Bonedaddy, and when I bought my AFG 620, I had no idea I was gonna buy one when I walked in to the store and saw it hanging on the wall (nor did I think I'd *ever* fall in love with a 620).

But I never see my ultimate dream Rick available. I'll need to order it and wait, or wait to find a pre-owned one. Sometimes there's a big difference between getting what's available and getting exactly what you want.

Board index » Deja Vu