Board index » Deja Vu

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: 'BACK' or 'BACH'
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:09 am 

Rickenbacker is an american company, right? So of course the american pronounciation is the right one, no matter where the founder of the company came from.

But I am a LAZY GERMAN, so I mostly pronounce the name in the german way, simply because it's easier for me!

What a discussion!

;-)))

Post Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:33 am 

Quote:
I don't get how my pronouncing the name of the guitar the only way I've ever heard it pronounced is insulting to John Hall personally. It's not like I came up with a rude pronunciation of John Hall. Since you do obviously take offense to it I apologize, and will be sure not to ever mispronounce it in your presence or on your forums again.

Charly, I expected about a million more posts just like yours, I don't expect too many of you to openly disagree with John Hall. I am not here to get people to agree with me, and if I disagree with anyone, including John Hall, I will do so openly. I don't agree that saying Rickenbocker instead of Rickenbakker, and saying bassboob instead of bassbob are equally offensive. For one thing, one is an obvious attempt at being offensive, The other is a very,very common mispronunciation. You have seen my posts, you know I love Rics ( oops, another mispronunciation) and would never make a derogatory statement about them, so there should have been no doubt that I was not intending to insult them or the guy who owns the company that makes them. I am the guy out there arguing with the Fenderheads about innappropriate fender stroking on this website. I am the guy urging people to buy Rics, put Ric replacement parts on their guitars instead of aftermarket parts, and I have never tried to do anything but help people on this forum, or recieve help from them. So since you agree that I deserved to be insulted, that leads me to conclude that you either lack the will to state your own opinion if it conflicts with John Hall's, or you have completely ignored everything I have ever posted on this forum. Either way, not a big deal.

Again, I apologize if I offended you John and I got thick skin so I don't need to lighten up, it's all good.

Bob

Bob, I get what you are saying. Since I was 15, which was about 29 years ago, I have always called it Rickenbocher. That is how I learned it. Only recently have I been learning the error of my ways. I first attempted to correct myself when I first called the fctory and heard how the phone was answered. I still have to catch myself.

I know that when you said you would still call it Rickenbocher that you weren't being insulting. I don't think John was either. Sometimes it is hard to pick up someone's tone of voice in written form. It's all good

Post Posted: Fri May 18, 2007 12:01 am 

Quote:
As well as being elsewhere on this website, a bit of clarification is in order:

the German CH sound is NOT a soft CH as in the word cheese. Likewise, it is not the Italian CH, which is basically the same as American English K. It is a hard CH sound, but with different placement. It is articulated the same way an American English K sound is, except at the back of the throat instead of on the hard palate, immediately followed by an aspirant to get the articulated consonant out the front of the mouth from the back of the mouth.

In other words, like pulling a big hocker up from the back of your throat. :-)

Post Posted: Fri May 18, 2007 1:09 am 

If David Hobbs can call Michael Schumacher Shoe Makker
and all the RIC artist call it a RickenBAKKER, I guess I'll just have to go sit on the BACK porch and drink some BOCK beer and play some Johan Sebastian BACH on my RickenBACKer, I don't much care for the pronunciation but if thats what it is,,, thats what it is.. a Rick by any other name, still sounds as sweet..

Post Posted: Fri May 18, 2007 1:53 am 

We're done! Move along.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Board index » Deja Vu