Board index » Deja Vu

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: 'BACK' or 'BACH'
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:53 am 

As well as being elsewhere on this website, a bit of clarification is in order:

the German CH sound is NOT a soft CH as in the word cheese. Likewise, it is not the Italian CH, which is basically the same as American English K. It is a hard CH sound, but with different placement. It is articulated the same way an American English K sound is, except at the back of the throat instead of on the hard palate, immediately followed by an aspirant to get the articulated consonant out the front of the mouth from the back of the mouth.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:58 am 

Quote:
It's also here, in the FAQ:

Ricken-BACK-er?? I'm so disappointed. That sounds so "hick". :-(

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:06 am 

As well as being elsewhere on this website, a bit of clarification is in order:

the German CH sound is NOT a soft CH as in the word cheese. Likewise, it is not the Italian CH, which is basically the same as American English K. It is a hard CH sound, but with different placement. It is articulated the same way an American English K sound is, except at the back of the throat instead of on the hard palate, immediately followed by an aspirant to get the articulated consonant out the front of the mouth from the back of the mouth.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:06 am 

Quote:
...it is not the Italian CH, which is basically the same as American English K.

Which reminds me of a pet peeve:

"Bruschetta" is pronounced broo-sket-ah, not broo-shet-ah!

If you were ordering Chianti, you wouldn't say "I'd like a glass of shee-yon-tee". No! You'd say "kee-yon-tee"! Same 'ch' in both words.

Ok, rant over...

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:50 pm 

I will continue to pronounce it Rickenbocker, like everyone I've ever heard does.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Obviously you haven't heard me or any of our employess say it! Ha, I'll just pronounce your name as Bassboob and we'll be even, fair enough?

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:28 pm 

Mr.Rickenbacker was indeed a distant cousin of Eddie Rickenbacker...in the wave of anti-German sentiment during and after WW1,Eddie (and many other Americans with German or German-sounding names)wanted to dis-associate himself from anything German sounding;henceforth,he pronounced his last name as RickenBACKer.Adolph,wanting to capitalize on the name recognition (to sell instruments & amps),followed suit.He always pronounced it RickenBACKer,but encouraged his friends to call him "Rick",and not Adolph...at least that's the story that I've read.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:22 pm 

And again to follow up: Note that what would have been the German spelling of CH has been changed and American-ized to CK, so please pronounce it the preferred American way, with the A being prounounced as the word BACK by itself, with the CK being a hard K sound, with the back of the tongue raised, instead of either as an AH or OH sound, with the back of the tongue dropped.

Oh, yeah -- for those who want to know, I did see both the play version Pygmalion and the movie version My Fair Lady as a child.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:35 pm 

Quote:
Obviously you haven't heard me or any of our employess say it! Ha, I'll just pronounce your name as Bassboob and we'll be even, fair enough?

No. Fair would be purposely mispronouncing the product I sell. Mispronouncing my name in a derogatory manner is simply 8th grade politics. I had absolutely zero intention of insulting anybody, I have simply never heard them called Rickenbakker and it sounds funny to me. Bassboob, now that's funny, completely insulting,but funny, I guess. Well, at least you didn't put out a hit on my post. I think I'll go find David, I believe he's following your advice and looking for a different brand of bass that has, what did you say, a wider variety of bridge options, or at least a Dipshot.
I realize how you view people that post on these forums, but considering we are a large part of your customer base, you'd think you could at least not be overtly insulting, some of us morons might actually understand what you are saying and decide not to patronize your company any longer. Thanks for the unkind words, elitist.

Bassboob

Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:36 am 

Mr. Bassbob, sir - What he said is no more insulting than you mispronouncing the NAME of HIS company! I've been on your side in a couple of debates, but not this one!

You would think the owner of a product would want to pronounce the name correctly!

Sheesh!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Deja Vu