Board index » Deja Vu

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: 'BACK' or 'BACH'
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:56 am 

FWIW, I'm guessing it's pronounced "back" in jolly old England. People there have a tendency to pronounce things that way, as in "pasta" rhyming with "faster" without the 'r'.

So it's possible the Fab Four themselves pronounced it "back", although I've never actually heard a recording of any of them mentioning the name.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:09 am 

Quote:
So it's possible the Fab Four themselves pronounced it "back", although I've never actually heard a recording of any of them mentioning the name.

The Beatles "get back" and put the back in "Rickenbacker" when they have said it. "Say the word and you'll be free, say the word and be like me."

Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:43 am 

A lot of people take this forum waaaaay to seriously. Lighten up people.
By the way my name is spelled Robb. It is pronounced Rob, you do use a double bee sound.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:56 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bob, you state that you're going to intentionally mispronounce "my" name, so I jokingly say I'm going to mispronounce yours . . . and you get mad? Gheesh, lighten up!

Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:29 am 

Lordy!

LOL! I was just reading this thread.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:34 pm 

This is getting interesting. Just my .02 here, the proper pronunciation for samurai sword is Kat-uh-nahhh, not Ka-tahn-uh.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:33 pm 

I don't get how my pronouncing the name of the guitar the only way I've ever heard it pronounced is insulting to John Hall personally. It's not like I came up with a rude pronunciation of John Hall. Since you do obviously take offense to it I apologize, and will be sure not to ever mispronounce it in your presence or on your forums again.

Charly, I expected about a million more posts just like yours, I don't expect too many of you to openly disagree with John Hall. I am not here to get people to agree with me, and if I disagree with anyone, including John Hall, I will do so openly. I don't agree that saying Rickenbocker instead of Rickenbakker, and saying bassboob instead of bassbob are equally offensive. For one thing, one is an obvious attempt at being offensive, The other is a very,very common mispronunciation. You have seen my posts, you know I love Rics ( oops, another mispronunciation) and would never make a derogatory statement about them, so there should have been no doubt that I was not intending to insult them or the guy who owns the company that makes them. I am the guy out there arguing with the Fenderheads about innappropriate fender stroking on this website. I am the guy urging people to buy Rics, put Ric replacement parts on their guitars instead of aftermarket parts, and I have never tried to do anything but help people on this forum, or recieve help from them. So since you agree that I deserved to be insulted, that leads me to conclude that you either lack the will to state your own opinion if it conflicts with John Hall's, or you have completely ignored everything I have ever posted on this forum. Either way, not a big deal.

Again, I apologize if I offended you John and I got thick skin so I don't need to lighten up, it's all good.

Bob

Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:46 pm 

I don't know you bassbob, but from reading this thread, I get the impression that you ARE overly sensitive and DO need to lighten up. No insult intended. JMO.

Oh and just to add my .02, way back in the early 60's when I first discovered Rics, I too at that time thought it was pronounced Rick-en-bocker (mainly cause that's how I had heard some other people say it). Don't remember how long it was before I found out that it was actually Rick-en-backer. . .

Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:25 pm 

Follow this: You purposely mispronounce Rickenbacker even though you know the correct pronunciation. John cracks a joke about mipronouncing your name. You assume he is offended, not sure how, so you think he offended you in return. IT WAS A JOKE, HE SAID SO. Then I say, what he said was no more offensive than what you said (not that anything WAS offensive). Now, you are back assuming he was offended again.

It appears you are looking for ways to be offended, rather than just commenting on a forum. Just my opinion.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:51 pm 

Quote:
I don't get how my pronouncing the name of the guitar the only way I've ever heard it pronounced is insulting to John Hall personally. It's not like I came up with a rude pronunciation of John Hall. Since you do obviously take offense to it I apologize, and will be sure not to ever mispronounce it in your presence or on your forums again.

Charly, I expected about a million more posts just like yours, I don't expect too many of you to openly disagree with John Hall. I am not here to get people to agree with me, and if I disagree with anyone, including John Hall, I will do so openly. I don't agree that saying Rickenbocker instead of Rickenbakker, and saying bassboob instead of bassbob are equally offensive. For one thing, one is an obvious attempt at being offensive, The other is a very,very common mispronunciation. You have seen my posts, you know I love Rics ( oops, another mispronunciation) and would never make a derogatory statement about them, so there should have been no doubt that I was not intending to insult them or the guy who owns the company that makes them. I am the guy out there arguing with the Fenderheads about innappropriate fender stroking on this website. I am the guy urging people to buy Rics, put Ric replacement parts on their guitars instead of aftermarket parts, and I have never tried to do anything but help people on this forum, or recieve help from them. So since you agree that I deserved to be insulted, that leads me to conclude that you either lack the will to state your own opinion if it conflicts with John Hall's, or you have completely ignored everything I have ever posted on this forum. Either way, not a big deal.

Again, I apologize if I offended you John and I got thick skin so I don't need to lighten up, it's all good.

Bob

My two cents:
1: JH did specify that the proposed misprounciation of your handle on this forum was intended as a joke. My own handle on this forum is in fact spelled differently than as intended (the second "w" is a typo), and try as I might, I was unable to correct it. So what did I do? I said "to heck with it", and moved on. (Besides, now it looks like I'm saying "bossman" and that's kind of cool, too.)

2: If you think for a minute that we are all kissing up to JH on this subject, that we are afraid of offending him in some way, I would have to ask, why? What's he going to do? Come over to our homes and confiscate our guitars? Get a goon squad to beat us up? Put his authorized dealers on notice that they are not to sell RICs to those who have offended him on the forum? Kick us off the forum? I for one doubt it. I have myself made quite a stink on issues in the past in which I disagreed with JH. Dig up some of the old TRC replacement policy topics and you'll see what I mean. I still have my old TRC-less 4001. No one has beaten me up. I've not yet been at a dealership eyeballing a RIC and wound up being told "John Hall says you can't buy that", and obviously I'm still here. So much for that contention.

3: Lastly, although I do agree that there is a difference between an honest mistake as in when someone who doesn't know any better when pronouncing "Rickenbacker" and someone who mispronounces someone's name to make it sound derogatory in some way, the act of continuing, and insisting on continuing to do so once one is corrected is IMO just plain old disrespectful.
Whether you need to lighten up or not is something that I would suppose is your own business. But, Bob, IMO you are taking this whole thing way too hard.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Deja Vu