Board index » Deja Vu

Post subject: Yet another question RE: dead spots
 Post Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:03 pm 

OK, I'm stumped so I'm asking for some input. My 4001C64 is the first Rick I've ever owned so I'm still learning about this characteristics of this animal. Hopefully someone here can help me out.....here's the issue:

Yesterday AM while playing, I'd noticed the makings of a couple of dead spots on my G string with the notes Bb,B & C. Later that afternoon, those notes somewhat returned to normal but I now had what sounded like a dead D note on the same string.

Fast forward to this AM; Once again, the Bb,B & C notes had a deadened tone on the G string BUT now the same three notes on the D string also had a deadness to them. I've also noticed that I've a slight amount of fret buzz with the notes in question on the G string.

Some info to take into consideration:

It's been unusually warm over the last 7-10 days here with weather more like July than May; pretty hot. Also, I'm using TI Jazz Flats (344s) on the bass and have a pretty light touch. I know that a FW will highlight the fundamentals of the note and not ring like a RW string. The bass is still fairly new and I'm sure that the sudden jump in humidity and heat aren't helping matters much.

So my questions are -

1) Does this sound like more of a case where my rods need readjusting?

2) Sound like maybe that I just have a number of dead spots on the neck and just need to accept the fact?

3) Sound more like the bass is still acclaimating itself to my playing style, string gauge and it's new environs?

4) Maybe a combination of #1 & #3?

5) All of the above?

Sorry for the lenghty post, but I'm just trying to give as much info as possible. Thanks for reading and any help that may be given in advance!

BB

Post subject: Re: Yet another question RE: dead spots
 Post Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:17 pm 

Try adjusting yout truss rods. Many times that will take care of dead spots on a Rick bass. It will certainly help with the fret buzz.

Post Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:36 pm 

Thanks for the reply, Beatlefreak. This was my first guess. Glad to get a little affirmation. I know that one of my guitars is also in need of a tweaking. Thanks again!

Post Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:18 pm 

"Dead" spots indicate a body and/or neck resonance. Changing the tension changes the load on the body and neck and therefore changes or damps the resonances.

Make sure you also check the bridge, saddles, pickup adjustments and the string itself to make sure there is nothing else damping down the string or the notes. A loose bridge screw, though highly unlikely, will also allow vibration to sap out of the string.

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:02 am 

Also see this thread:
http://www.rickenbacker.com/forum_view_ ... e%20pickup

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:32 pm 

Thanks for your input, guys; much appreciated.

I think that I'm going to have to have the bass set-up again after discovering that I have some fret buzz now across the neck at the 1-4 frets. I'll have the rods re-adjusted and possibly raise the action just a hair. I got looking last night and saw that my saddles are all maxed forward....really doesn't leave me with much wiggle room, if any.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:05 am 

Indeed. It will vary from bass to bass because of the particular strings used, the nut height, the general set-up and your playing style, but there should be generally a even stagger from G to E, with the G usually the most forward and the E the farthest back due to the string stretch caused by the varying diameter of the strings and the heights needed to clear fret buzz.

Board index » Deja Vu