Board index » Deja Vu

Post subject: Taking Off the Metal Thing..
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:00 am 

Just got a new 4003 and I love it, but I hate the metal thing that goes over the lower pick-up. I can't palm mute! I know you can take them off, and I tried to do it on my own but after I unscrewed everything, I wasn't sure how to screw it back without the metal thing. So I re-attached the metal thing, but I'm pretty sure I screwed up the way it goes--maybe. I have it going like this, from bottom to top: Pick-up --> Rubber washer --> Metal Grounding thing attached to pickup --> Springs --> Plate --> Big Metal Thing --> Screws.

Sorry if I don't sound technical, but I'd really appreciate the help on basically two things. First and most important, did I mess up on the order above? Because when I unscrewed everything the springs just popped out and I can't be sure where they were. I tried them withing the two metal plates but that made the pickup too high and it was touching the strings. In fact, now I can't screw the screws all the way or else the same thing happens, when I loosen the screws the pickup moves down so I have 'em screwed in about half-way or so but you couldn't tell to look at the screws (they are not sticking out).

Second and also important, how do I get rid off that metal thing? I hate it, it completely conflicts with the way I play and I know I've seen functioning Rickenbackers that do not have the metal thing on them. If someone could post the order in which to do it, please god do so.

I just thought I could unscrew it and slide it out, and when the springs popped out I nearly had a heart attack.

Post subject: Re: Taking Off the Metal Thing..
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:09 am 

Ah, I think I got it thanks to Google search...I knew there'd be a thread on here but the forum search did nothing for me.

http://www.joeysbassnotes.com/Joeys%20frameset.htm

and

http://www.rickenbacker.com/pdfs/bpickups.pdf

seem to show how to do it. I shouldn't have a problem but please keep this thread open for a day or two if I do.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:25 am 

Ok, here's a question then, since I've figured it out: Are there any accessories available that fill out the gaps once you take the pickup guard off? I don't like the idea of something falling in there or knocking it loose.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:35 am 

The pickup is well mounted to the plate, it won't get knocked loose.. Just use a reasonable amount of care with your bass and you won't have to worry about something going in there. I haven't had a problem in 26 years of playing Rick basses with their pickup covers removed.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:45 am 

http://www.pickguardian.com/pickguardia ... Plate.html

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:57 am 

Thanks for the link, I just might have to get that. I'm having a blast with the bass.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:13 am 

I went for the Pickguardian, I don't like the look of the gaping hole and I'm scared I will cut myself on the edges. However, I tried putting the original mount with the cover back on, and I love it!

Rics just have sooooo much more vibe with the cover on, but I can see how it pisses people off.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:53 pm 

Quote:
Just got a new 4003 and I love it, but I hate the metal thing that goes over the lower pick-up. I can't palm mute!

Use the Mechanical Mute!

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:19 pm 

how does the mute thing on RICs work anyway? does that foam pad slide up to touch the strings if you want it to? i'm afraid to mess with it. haha.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:16 pm 

Quote:
how does the mute thing on RICs work anyway? does that foam pad slide up to touch the strings if you want it to? i'm afraid to mess with it. haha.

Yes that is exactly how it works: Turn the chrome circles on the tailpiece clockwise to raise the foam pad and engage the mute.

Board index » Deja Vu