Board index » Deja Vu

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: WAIT TIME
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:13 am 

First of all, as much as I like Rics, I think you guys (the Ric people) are delusional if you think that you have never let an imperfect Ric leave the factory. I know, because I was the recepient of one (Plus, isn't that why you offer a warranty - because perfection cannot be assured?).

Back in 1991, I got my first Rick, a 4003JG. Right out of the box, it had a number problems. Just so you know, it came to me straight from the factory by way of a dealer. The cardboard box was never opened until I got it.

Right away, I noticed a serious issue with the paint. On the upper left horn there was a mark on the front of the bass that looked like a clamp mark. It was downright ugly. The next problem was with the fingerboard binding. It was stressed and cracking from the 8th to the 19th fret on the top side and from the 5th to 11th fret on the bottom side. The bridge piece was tooled wrong and one of the intonation screw holes was much lower than the others. The TRC had a screw hole that was cut so close to the edge that it was more like a crescent than a circle. One of the nut slots was spaced badly. The retaining ring on the pickup selector was loose and couldn't tighten up properly. Finally, the treble pickup was mounted to its backing at a slight angle instead of straight on.

Obviously, I called the dealer right away and he couldn't believe it. Like I said, it was never opened. So, the dealer would have not known of the issues.

The dealer shipped my bass back to Ric to resolve the problems, and some problems were fixed (like the mark on the horn and the fingerboard binding). However, the other problems remained and the bass came back with a new problem. Whatever Ric did when fixing the paint problem (I guess a repaint?) they did not mask over the body binding properly (or something to that effect) because the binding on the lower part of the left body wing no longer met the point where the neck section and body wing meet. In fact, it came about .75" short. Since I had already waited close to 8 months for my bass the first time around and then an additional 3 weeks when I had to return it, I did not want to fight the matter anymore as I was an impatient teenager who wanted to return my music store rental bass.

All imperfections aside, I did enjoy the bass immensely and it probably helped make me the most demanded bass player in my high school (Of course, I think that it was the combined effect of being a fairly skilled musician, plus having a cool looking and amazing sounding bass). I finally sold the bass in 1997 to a music store in Eugene, Oregon, so I can pay my rent at the time.

The reason why I am mentioning all of this isn't to make anyone angry - especially the Ric execs who so graciously spend some of their valuable time on this forum. I am simply mentioning it because I got a bad Ric straight from the factory and to shed light on the fact that it indeed does happen. I don't believe for a moment that Ric has a "B-stock." However, I do believe and know from experience that a bad Ric will escape the factory once in a while. Again, this is the reason for warranties.

Regards,

Koose

Post Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:01 am 

The people at RIC are human and mistakes will get out once in a while. I ordered a 650D from MF and when it got to me (it was in stock) I found one of the control knobs had been bouncing around the case with a few scuffs on the body. I also determined the control plate screws were a bit loose. Really not a big deal, but I had my heart set on "the perfect" guitar. I got some (non RIC) advice, and thanks to MF's return policy, I sent the guitar back. I found a 650S at another store for not much more than the D, and that is an awesome guitar. A minor setup and it plays flawlessly.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:13 am 

As Nuke pointed out,occasionally one gets by our eagle eyed inspection.We do catch the vast majority of imperfections before an instrument gets shipped however,and I can tell you firsthand,anything that isn't right gets fixed.We certainly do NOT take something that has a minor flaw and say "To heck with fixing this little scratch,hey let's just make it B stock and ship it"...Ain't gonna happen..EVER.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:31 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
. . . I got some (non RIC) advice, and thanks to MF's return policy, I sent the guitar back. . .
where it became Musician's Friend B stock and was without a doubt sold to someone else.[quote}And yet, however, there is still the unexplained woman in the midwest who somehow gets her hands on a large number of "B's" from MFriend (and resells them).
That's what you said Firsty and that's what I commented on.
Quote:
The guitar shop Im working In (Hagström Music SWEDEN)...has waited ...now almost 3 years for two guitars and one 4003 Bass we have on order....
Well, the distributor has to take credit for about 2 years of that, sorry to say, but I think they're back on track with us now.

Koose, your story was about a bass in 1991; we're 16 years, one factory and three production managers later now. Unlike some firms, we've only gotten better at what we do over time.

End of the road here.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Board index » Deja Vu