Board index » Deja Vu

Post subject: Removing pole piece buttons from older hi gains
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:30 am 

Removing the pole piece "button" tops from high gain pickups has been mentioned before in reference to covering them with Toaster covers, but not in detail. Is this actually possible? If so, how does it affect the sound of the pickup? I am referring to the older style high gain pickups with non-adjustable pole pieces. My other Rics have toasters, but I like the way this one sounds with the high gains, though I like the toaster cover look.
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w208 ... pleglo.jpg

Post subject: Re: Removing pole piece buttons from older hi gains
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:25 am 

Quote:
Removing the pole piece "button" tops from high gain pickups has been mentioned before in reference to covering them with Toaster covers, but not in detail. Is this actually possible? If so, how does it affect the sound of the pickup? I am referring to the older style high gain pickups with non-adjustable pole pieces. My other Rics have toasters, but I like the way this one sounds with the high gains, though I like the toaster cover look.
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w208 ... pleglo.jpg

Anyone?

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:34 pm 

Please don't. For several reasons: 1) the pickups are engineered for the polepieces to conduct the magnetism through the coil as opposed to individual magnet slugs in the toasters, so to remove them inhibits the magnetic field, and therefore the overall performance of the pickup; 2) the polepieces are an integral part of the pickup, so to remove them risks damaging the bobbins and coils, even if you're only trying to "slice off" the top buttons; 3) they are slightly arched to match the crown radius of the fingerboard, so you alter the string-to-string response by adjusting or removing them.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:04 am 

Thanks iiipopes! I thought the polepieces might be an integral part of the pickup(otherwise, why would they be there?!), but wasn't sure, as I'd seen it mentioned on this forum that one could remove the buttons in order to mount a toaster cover. Thank you for the information as to exactly why it would be a bad idea to remove the polepiece buttons!

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:37 am 

It's not removing the pole pieces, but just the button tops from them. I know that some of the forumites over on the RickResources forum have done it. You might go search that forum.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:34 pm 

Probably so, but why would you want to risk it? The 1st year high gains right after they were introduced had really small pole pieces. Think about it: almost immediately they were changed to the larger buttons we know as "conventional" on high-gains, to get better tone out of the pickups. So why purposely go back to something inferior?

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:54 pm 

iiipopes,

Just wanted to drop a thank you for the 411 in your earlier post regarding the fact that the pole piece tops are radiused to match the fretboard radius on the older high gains. I was getting weird harmonics off the guitar, especially when overdriven, and at first I could not figure out why. I looked at the pickups, and there was plenty of clearance between the strings and the pole piece tops at either end of the pickups, but the middle strings were just barely clear of the string, probably only by the thickness of a business card, and were coming in contact and making weird harmonics when the string was played due to vibration. the action on this guitar is really low, and the pickup height was already adjusted pretty low. I was able to lowere the pickups a little more, but I had to raise the bridge slightly to attain what I considered to be adequate clearance. The guitar is set up with what appears to be an Ernie Ball 10-46 set. I have not changed the strings since I bought the guitar. I keep the strings clean, and they sound great still, so why bother? Given that the pickups have so much gain, I'll probably switch them out for toasters, just like the rest of my Ricks have. I played the guitar live with my band for the first time last week, and the guitar is louder than my DeArmond equipped Silverjet. It's a new experience for me to have a Rickenbacker that's louder than my Gretsch!

I suppose I cold always have some toasters overwound if I wanted more gain out of them, though it is counter to what everyone else wants out of a toaster.

A luthier I talked to about toaster pickup gain, and who is aware of the difference between the 12k toasters and the Scatterwounds said that if I were just looking for more output out of the bridge position pickup relative to the neck, that I could use 12k toasters in the bridge position and use a Scatterwound in the neck position to attain that.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:18 pm 

Quote:
A luthier I talked to about toaster pickup gain, and who is aware of the difference between the 12k toasters and the Scatterwounds said that if I were just looking for more output out of the bridge position pickup relative to the neck, that I could use 12k toasters in the bridge position and use a Scatterwound in the neck position to attain that.

If you're happy with the tone of the toasters, that is an option. You'd have to find someone selling a set of 12k toasters though, as they have been out of production since around 2000. You can identify the 12k ohm variety by the phillips head screws on the corners of the pickups.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:47 pm 

Quote:
Quote:

If you're happy with the tone of the toasters, that is an option. You'd have to find someone selling a set of 12k toasters though, as they have been out of production since around 2000. You can identify the 12k ohm variety by the phillips head screws on the corners of the pickups.

I have three Ricks that came with 12 k toasters, so it would just be a matter of buying a few more Scatterwounds and switching them out in the neck position.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:22 am 

See this thread for more information on converting hi-gains to toaster lookalikes:
http://www.rickresource.com/cgi-bin/dis ... 43901.html

Board index » Deja Vu