Board index » Deja Vu

Post subject: Re: Removing pole piece buttons from older hi gains
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:51 am 

Interesting. Thanks for the 411. Maybe someone could do a Hi gain conversion workshop at the So. Cal Rickfest.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:59 am 

Last night I removed the pole pieces from a pair of 2 year old guitar high gains. Other than the difficulty removing the end poles, it was easy. To check my progress I was testing the pickup by hooking it up to my bass amp and holding it over the strings of one of my RIC basses. These things even work without pole pieces in them! Bassically, after removing the pole pieces, I slotted the bottoms of the poles to fit a flat head screw driver and cut off the buttons with a Dremmel. Then I chucked up the pole pieces in a drill and filed them down a bit so they'd screw back in the bobbin easily and screwed on new toaster covers. If I'd had headless Allan screws, I could have just screwed those in there without messing with the original pole pieces. I'm installing them in place of the HB2's in a 4004 this weekend. The new high gains with adjustable pole pieces would have shortened this job to about 10 minutes.

If anyone wants to see how easy this is, just bring a pickup to the Confluence next week and I'll bring my tools.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:03 pm 

I'll take you up on your offer.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:54 am 

All right! A clinic/workshop!

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:59 am 

Quote:
Last night I removed the pole pieces from a pair of 2 year old guitar high gains. Other than the difficulty removing the end poles, it was easy. To check my progress I was testing the pickup by hooking it up to my bass amp and holding it over the strings of one of my RIC basses. These things even work without pole pieces in them! Bassically, after removing the pole pieces, I slotted the bottoms of the poles to fit a flat head screw driver and cut off the buttons with a Dremmel. Then I chucked up the pole pieces in a drill and filed them down a bit so they'd screw back in the bobbin easily and screwed on new toaster covers. If I'd had headless Allan screws, I could have just screwed those in there without messing with the original pole pieces. I'm installing them in place of the HB2's in a 4004 this weekend. The new high gains with adjustable pole pieces would have shortened this job to about 10 minutes.

If anyone wants to see how easy this is, just bring a pickup to the Confluence next week and I'll bring my tools.

Do you know the thread size/length the Allen screws would be? I could bring some.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:03 am 

Quote:
Quote:

Interesting! I'm glad the fix worked for you. A newbie did something similar to his non-adjustable 2006 4003's pole pieces the other day and by carefully working them, he pulled them out, modified them, and got the volume balance results he was looking for. His post is in the bass forum.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:45 pm 

I removed the polepieces on mine after reading the other thread that you are refering too. I ordered 8 of the new adjustable polepieces from Ric and put them in.

I had to cut them as they were too long, but now I have adjustable polepieces.

The only thing I would like to warn anyone about is on my bass, the old polepieces were REALLY tight. While turning one of the polepieces trying to get it out I scratched the hell out of the top of the neck pickup. I end up doing some sanding on it and basically getting the scratch out but it took a lot of work.

Also, I don't think I would have wanted to reuse the old polepieces anyway as they were scratched and gnawed from grabbing on to them so tight with the vise grips.

If you are going to remove them, you might want to keep these things in mind. And make sure you cover the top of your bass. You wouldn't want to slip and scratch the top of your bass.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:43 am 

I went wrong somewhere while following the instructions on how to do this. Are there any local So. Cal guys who rewind these things?

Post Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:39 am 

Quote:
I went wrong somewhere while following the instructions on how to do this. Are there any local So. Cal guys who rewind these things?

Ouch! sorry to hear about that. Hope you get it resolved soon and smoothly.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:02 pm 

I have converted a few high gain pickups to toaster tops ... http://www.3dentourage.com/425/restoration.htm ... I found that the pre 1990 pickups fall apart when the pole pieces are removed.

Removing the pole pieces can damage the pickup.

Board index » Deja Vu