Board index » Deja Vu

Post subject: How to use Rickosound
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:59 pm 

Hello fellow Ric owners,

I have finally got my 360 jetglo, (despite me buying a 330 while I was waiting impatiently in the meantime and now having to sell it)and it sounds amazing and feels great. However I'd like to know how the 360 sounds using the Rickosound stereo capabilities and effects options.

Now I have a Marshall JMP Master lead head and 4x12 cab from 1976 (which compliments the Ric amazingly) but it has 2 inputs. From reading the Ric Manual it says it's possible to use Rickosound through an amp with 2 inputs, would that be possible with my Marshall Head?

Also, what leads do I need and do I require a Rickosound box?

Any ideas or any past experience/advice would be much appreciated.

All the best,

Andrew

Post subject: Re: How to use Rickosound
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:07 am 

I also have a Marshall Master volume head from 1975. Since there is only one set of knobs, it is a one channel amp. The only difference between the two jacks is one has a capacitor hard wired across it to give a "bright" input as opposed to a "regular" input. On this particular amplifier there is no benefit, and it's no different than running the single output of your guitar, because the amp will just combine back what you separated at the guitar before going into the preamp stage. By running the bridge pickup through the bright input and the neck pickup through the regular input, you might get a little more contrast, but that's about it. Also, some of those amps were wired for a "straight" input and a "buffered" input, to take high output pickups without completely washing out the 1st stage. So in that case, you can't get the same volume out of each pickup, as the buffered input is wired to be @20dB less gain.

The amps most often referred to by the phrase "being able to use R-O-S on one amp" are the older or reissued Fender blackface or silverfaced amps, or others made in a similar manner, that have two distinct channels with separate volume and tone controls for each channel that don't come back together until the inverter stage into the power stage. With such an amp, you don't get true R-O-S, but you can separate the pickups so that you can have two totally different tones or effects setups that can be set apart or blended at will.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:36 pm 

Thanks so much for the detailed reply! I apologise for my ignorance, now you mentioned about having 2 sets of tone/volume etc it makes complete sense!

Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:58 pm 

Why in the WORLD would you want to sell your 330? It's the perfect back-up for your 360...are you MAD?

Post Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:42 pm 

Some of the older Fender amps combine the channels out of phase, which adds another spice to the stew.
You'll see more stereo effect by using 2 amps.
I've used a Hosa brand insert cable to split between two amps, and get the same result as a ROS kit,at less cost.

Quote:
Why in the WORLD would you want to sell your 330? It's the perfect back-up for your 360...are you MAD?

Owning more that one RIC is perfectly acceptable.Plus you could have one of them strung with flatwounds,for a different vibe.

Board index » Deja Vu