Board index » Rickenbacker amps

Post subject: Rickenbacker B 16A
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:36 am 

I've got a B 16A supersonic head with Black tolex, silver grille cloth and a tremolo channel. Can anyone tell me when this is from, and how much it's worth?

Post subject: Re: Rickenbacker B 16A
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:35 am 

Rickenbacker "B" Series amplifiers were manufactured in the 1960's. You can find the B16A schematic located under the Service tab above.

Here's a photo of a Rick B15A:

http://www.rickenbacker.com/gallery_ima ... llery=1960

Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:47 pm 

Quote:
I've got a B 16A supersonic head with Black tolex, silver grille cloth and a tremolo channel. Can anyone tell me when this is from, and how much it's worth?

You may be able to determine the age of some of the parts and those are your best clues to the age of the amp. Do a google search for "eia codes" and you'll see how to determine the age and manufacturer of the transformers and possibly the potentiometers.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:11 pm 

I've been looking at the schematic of the B16D (19339.pdf) and I'm a little perplexed by some things.

First, does anyone know which filtering stage supplies B+ to the first 12AX7 (in the upper left of the schematic)?

Also, down in the second (trem) channel, there's a "B" shown, apparently supplying high voltage through a 229K resistor and then on to a network of caps/resistors to the grid of the 12AX7...is that accurate?

Next, again in the trem channel, I'm not clear on what that 200k pot is for, pictured down at the bottom just above the AC plug...there appears to be no connection on one end of the pot. WTF? Anyone know what's going on there and what that pot is for?

Now, back to the first channel, in the tone circuit. There's a 1M tone pot (treble?) with the wiper going to ground via a 470K resistor and a 100 pf cap and to the grid on the next triode of the 12AX7. Then I'm guessing there's another pot (bass), below, which is not identified, with the wiper going to ground via a 47k resistor. Anyone know what that pot is? Another 1M I'm guessing...

Finally, the cathodes on several tubes have bias caps labeled like '64-40'...anyone know what that designation means? 40uF seems awfully large for bias caps and 64 seems like a strange value for either uF or voltage...

Board index » Rickenbacker amps