Board index » Rickenbacker amps

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Tube amps-Your info and thoughts?
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:12 pm 

Hi,

Recently I find himself doing lot's of researching, listening to samples and just trying (in my own brain) to get the "ideal" amp sound to bring out the very best a Ric can offer.

My intent here, is NOT to create an unneccessarily provactive thred, but merely a thred where more in depth exchange of rock solid good information and discussion can be freely and openly exchanged on this topic.

So, any thoughts or info from your own personal experiences/knowledege base you care to share with us related to tube amps. (verses solid state?), pros, con etc. and what you feel are perhaps "best" choices and/or options available for anyone who wants to produce the very, very best Ric orientated sounds possible I feel will be valuable, well appreciated and helpful to many!

Post subject: Re: Tube amps-Your info and thoughts?
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:25 am 

In the past month I just purchased a Vox AC-30 tube amp and I am in love with it. I play a 2002 Ric 330 through it and the clean tone is amazing. The reverb and tremelo features on the amp are great too! I played a fender tube before the vox and I just wasn't impressed by the fender. After spending about 8 hours messing with the amp I finally found a tone that is incredible...it may take you less time though. So far I am nothing but impressed with the Vox. The only thing which is throwing me is getting the right drive pedal for it, a boss blues driver just isn't cutting it with the amp and any distortion pedal sounds terrible through it. I got a number of suggestions on drive pedals for this amp in a post titled "Rics with Vox amps", you may want to check that out as well.

Bottom line, definatly try out a Vox AC-30, you will probably be very impressed.

I hope this information is helpful and if you want me to expand on something I mentioned in this post let me know!

Post Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:34 am 

Tube amps are heavy, and an ongoing expense with tube replacement. Current tube manufacturing is not nearly as good as it was half a century ago, and you will occasionally have tubes fail early. It took me 6 months to find the ideal set of tubes for my Twin Reverb.

A good tube amp is a thing of beauty. A great tube amp is more musical than most instruments.

SS amp are, to my ears, better suited to loud clean tones, and the use of pedals to provide the distortion(s) you want.

I use a Line 6 Spider II 210 quite a bit, but I still prefer my Twin Reverb. The Twin is just better. If I had to use an SS amp exclusively, I'd be all over a JC-120, or some of the Acoustic Image amps.

I'm essentially a clean tone player, (soft jazz, light pop), so use that filter when you consider my opinions.

Opinions are like onions, only with more letters.

Peace,

Paul

Post Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:25 am 

My favorite tube amp is a Fender Super Reverb my buddy Mike used to own. Enough volume to use on stage if you're micing everything & sweet clean tones. Not really heavy, but a little awkward as it's a 4X10 combo. It really sings!

I have a Peavey Delta Blues 2X10 combo. It has very nice clean sounds & is also loud enough for stage volume. Fairly cheap & fairly light weight.

The guitar player in my band uses a Mesa 50W 1X12 combo & it sounds beautiful, though he's having reverb circuit problems with it right now (that's the first breakdown so far & he's had the amp for quite a while, which is unusual for him). It's very heavy, though!

Post Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:32 am 

As far as bass amps go, I really love my SWR amp & cab. I finally got very close to Geddy's sound without using any outboard overdrive. It's the first amp I've used that I'm really happy with.
I've tried Fender Bassman amps (late 60's), a Traynor tube amp (70's), Roland, Yamaha & Peavey SS amps before the SWR.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:08 am 

davclr, my personal view is that almost every classic tube amp recently produced will give you an overwhelming tone with your RIC - be it an AC 30, AC 15, an Orange amp, a handwired Marshall, a Peavey amp, a Groove Tubes amp or a Fender amp.

There are a lot of people around, who are going to tell you about the benefits of modelling amps. Do not believe them!

And there are a lot of people around, who are going to tell you that a VOX amp is the best choice, or a Fender amp or a Mesa Boogie amp, a Peavey amp, a Hughes & Kettner amp or a Marshall amp. Do not believe them either.

Every classic tube amp you can buy today is a great piece of equipment. To find out which one will suit you must, you have got to try them out.

Having said that, I repeat myself and tell you once again: VOX AC 30. The current ones are the best ever made - despite of being made in China!

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." (Elvis Costello)

Post Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:00 am 

Thanks Dr. No,

When you start doing a Google search for tubed guitar amplifier current info and you see the price tags on some of this brand new boutique tubed amplifier rig it can get to being an "ouch!" very quickly!

(I liken it to ultra high end stereo/hi-fi components (with tubes) that there is a near fantacism about.
And yet, my own ears tell me that the tubed amplied hi-fi/stereo systems do indeed sound better).

One consistency of thought here that I keep reading about as far as tubed guitar amplifiers go is that the currently available tube version of the Vox AC/30 gets a very strong highly favorable nod by many.
(Remember, I'm approaching this all from a Ric standpoint!)

Tell me though, (and please excuse the ignorance on my part), what's the fuss about the Blue Celestion loud speakers for the Vox AC/30? Are these speakers sonically that much more superior or just more rugged?

Post Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:00 am 

Thanks Dr. No,

When you start doing a Google search for tubed guitar amplifier current info and you see the price tags on some of this brand new boutique tubed amplifier rig it can get to being an "ouch!" very quickly!

(I liken it to ultra high end stereo/hi-fi components (with tubes) that there is a near fantacism about.
And yet, my own ears tell me that the tubed amplied hi-fi/stereo systems do indeed sound better).

One consistency of thought here that I keep reading about as far as tubed guitar amplifiers go is that the currently available tube version of the Vox AC/30 gets a very strong highly favorable nod by many.
(Remember, I'm approaching this all from a Ric standpoint!)

Tell me though, (and please excuse the ignorance on my part), what's the fuss about the Blue Celestion loud speakers for the Vox AC/30? Are these speakers sonically that much more superior or just more rugged?

Post Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:09 am 

Here's what Myles Rose of Groove Tubes has to say about modeling amps:

http://www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com/line6.html

Modeling is not a panacea, but there IS a place for Solid State amplifiers and digital modelers as well.

Peace,

Paul

Post Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:09 am 

I have an Orange Rockerverb 50. I play my 370 through it on clean and it sounds amazing. I play my 650 Dakota through it on dirty and it makes me want to ejaculate.
4 valve pre amp stage, 6 valve power amps, spring reverb, valve powered effects loop. It's a tad expensive and a bit heavy but you get tones to die for.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Board index » Rickenbacker amps