Board index » Rickenbacker amps

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tube amps-Your info and thoughts?
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:19 am 

Quote:
I do notice many artists do not go for all tubes only, but solid state amps with a tube pre-amp. Right now I am speaking for bass players, because I am a bass player.

quote]

For bass, solid state has many advantages, and adding a tube in the preamp gets rid of some of the harshness of transistors. However, most guitar players like the increased touch response and warmer sound of an all tube amp, which is reflected in the marketplace. For guitar amp applications, as soon as you get beyond the budget amps, most successful sales are still in all tube amps, and they will be for a long time.

Greg

Post Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:39 am 

The last time I went bass amp shopping was too long ago. But from what I remember, there were good and bad tube and solid state amps. I owned an early '70's SVT head for awhile. I sold it when it was going to cost more to re-tube than I paid for it! (Have you priced a sextet of 6550's lately?) My main bass head is a Carvin 300 that I've had since the early '90's, which just doesn't get any cleaner. Even picky Branson Theatre techs agree it is clean.

OTOH, I've played some of the popular heads of the time that had the single tube in the preamp, and they sounded brittle and thin, because they didn't have the output section designed for breadth.

A great amplifier right now for bass is the Ashdown. Their line has the breadth and "air" that you associate with good clean tube amps, with the reliability and ease of maintenance over time of solid state. But I can't justify one, because my Carvin just won't die!

I can tell you that my Carvin has played literally everything from Friday night to Sunday morning; and everywhere from my bedroom to national PBS broadcast, and I will now set forth the amount of money I have had to spend on maintenance since I purchased it: $0.

So for guitar, tubes are relatively cheap, even if you purchase a matching quad of EL34's. My 1st year Marshall 2203 and early Silverfaced Fender Bassman-Export and BillM modded Blues Jr. are permanent residents. But for bass, I'm a solid state convert.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:12 am 

My favourite amp has to be Vox AC30.
Looks great and sounds fantastic especially with a your Rickenbacker cranked up through it.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:38 am 

Quote:
Howdy,

...the 'Stones didn't use SS amps. ....

Eggman

Keith has used quite a few SS amps in the 60's & 70's. He used a Vox Super Beatle for one. As he says, in five minutes he can make them all sound the same.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:08 am 

I recently lucked into a mint early '80s MusicMan 112RD One Hundred with the Electro-Voice EVM speaker option, and what a treat. Basically a pre-CBS Fender in all but name - pure Leo Fender/Tom Walker tone, and in a hybrid amp - two 6L6-GCs in the power amp, and a solid state pre-amp. Incredible tone, great clean headroom, and all the terrific Ric jangle you could ever want.

This would absolutely be my go-to amp but for one thing - weight. This is one beast of an amp - there's a whole lot of heavy-duty American Iron in this thing, and for something that's the size of a '65 Deluxe Reverb, it weighs more than a Twin - I'm guessing North of 75 lbs, and definitely needs the casters it came with (or a Roadie - aah the good old days)

Post Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:50 pm 

My Fender Hotrod Deluxe sounds great for any guitar, really. You can get classic Fender sounds, but also Vox and early Marshall (Clapton/Bluesbreaker).

I never got the AC30 appeal. To me, they're too bassy, like a blanket is over the speaker. - Just my opinion, though.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:56 pm 

The amp I'm using for my bass sound now is all tube (well, almost all, the graphic EQ is transistor). I prefer the warm sound of tube amps, and I like getting a lot of grind in my bass sound, which tube amps excel at.

On the other hand, my old amp was solid state, and I liked it, too, just not as much.

About weight... both amps weighed about as much. The new amp is about 40 something pounds and so was the old one.

For much higher power, tube amps tend to get heavier, though not always. Peavey's just come out with a 300 watt tube amp that's only 37 pounds.

I hear the Markbass 300 watt tube head automatically re-biases the tubes every time you turn it on. Tubes are an older technology, but they don't seem to be obsolete.

Are they better? Better for what? Really depends what sound you need. A good sounding amp is a good sounding amp, whether it's tube or solid state.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:01 pm 

Quote:
My Fender Hotrod Deluxe sounds great for any guitar, really. You can get classic Fender sounds, but also Vox and early Marshall (Clapton/Bluesbreaker).

I never got the AC30 appeal. To me, they're too bassy, like a blanket is over the speaker. - Just my opinion, though.

I just acquired an AC30H2, and its anything but "bassy". Perhaps the ones you heard didn't have the Alnico blue speakers? For a Rick guitar - it doesn't get any better, ampwise. My Tele sounds fantastic through it - snappy and bright!

Post Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:14 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Cs1NGcS4yE

Compared to a Fender amp, Voxes are quite bassy.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:53 am 

It's good to be back here on the RIC forum....this is a thread worth reading....good info and opinions here...

Basically, if I had the money I'd buy one of the new Vox amps, tube or no....preferably tube...I just like the way they LOOK...reminds me of those great Capitol Record 45rpm record sleeves showing full color px of the Beatles onstage with their Super Beatles and Royal Guardsmans.....

I've also seen pix of the Byrds and Moby Grape onstage with the famous Fender Dual Showman amps---the original multi-task amp, the Dual Showmans were terrific bass amps and tonal controls allowed them to be good, LOUD guitar amps also....

I'm an old bar band guy still working weekends and playing classic rock songs that I don't really consider the TRUE classic rock songs...and I'm still using my '71 Fender Super Reverb that I traded a '63 VW BUG to get---it was an even trade, at least to the guy that got the VW....I knew that I got the REAL DEAL. That Super is still honkin' and the VW is nothing but recycled beer cans 10 times over...

My vote IS the Fender Super Reverb...past, and present.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Board index » Rickenbacker amps