Board index » Rickenbacker amps

Post subject: Re: Practice Amp
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:33 pm 

I'm yet another that would recommend a Vox Pathfinder as a practice amp. Mine is an early non reverb model.

730S Shiloh LH
4003 LH FG

Post Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:54 pm 

You will not find a Rickenbacker tube amp in the UK for as low a price as a small modern tube amp - if you can find one at all, they're very rare here. Some of the small 70s and 80s solid-state models do occasionally turn up though, and don't seem to sell for much - they're also quite nice-sounding.

(I happen to like older solid-state amps, and much prefer their tone to modern ones and especially to digital modelers - they don't necessarily have a tube-amp 'sound', but to me they do have *tone*, which is more important. If I can get a decent clean tone out of them, I'm happy - I can do the rest with a pedal.)

Personally I don't really understand why the Epiphone Valve Junior and other cheap modern tube amps are popular, they sound pretty bad to me even though they do overdrive in a 'tubey' way. But they just sound boxy and ratty, to me - even a bit if you run them through better speakers. I would take a good small solid-state amp like the Pathfinder over any of them. I should also say that I used to have an original 5F1 Fender Tweed Champ, and that was a *completely* different thing. That had the sound *and* the tone. (And I still regret selling it...)

Post Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:22 pm 

You might want to try the new Marshall Class 5 (2x12AX7, 1xEL84 single-ended). I know Marshalls aren't a popular choice to pair with Rickenbackers, but the distortion isn't over-the-top. It's designed by Steve Dawson, who is doing some interesting work for Marshall right now.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:56 pm 

hi, a little late on this thread, but ill mention that i purchased a vox ac4tv8 about a month ago online from guitar center.. it's got great sound and for home/apartment practice amp it gives all i need... the sound can be clean or dirty depending on tone setting and volume is manageable w/the built in attenuator..goes down to a quarter watt..dont know if they ship across the pond, though..im very happy w/mine..hope this helps

Post Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:52 am 

I have a new all-transistor Fender FM 85, a little box amp with a 12 in. speaker...it is AMAZINGLY loud....and my Rick 12 sounds good thru it...it has a pre-amp out that records well, tho pretty hot....it cost all of $220.00. It has on board distortion that sounds good with my Mex Strat.....ZZToppish.....the PigNose amps are cool....and I dig my little $40.00 Mini-Marshall....I can wear it on my belt...I walked around wearing it at a costume party playing my Danelectro U-2 through it and seranading revelers with ZZTop tunes....I was axed to leave....

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:26 pm 

A Rickenbacker TR7 is a great little practice amp with a special "bounce-back" power design, so it sounds much louder than the actual wattage would normally deliver. Its solid state, but sounds really really nice, and has a very nice built in tremelo.

The TR25 is a bit bigger, but would still be considered a practice amp and came with both trem and reverb.

I also have a TR75 which can be pretty darn loud and clear! It really reminds me of a Roland JC20, and is about the same size. Could handle just about any club gig even unmiked..

Some folks are not too crazy about the built-in distortion on these amps, but I find it to be a nice supplement to an overdrive pedal for an added flavor.

The clean tone is just incredible. I wish RIC still made them, but you can find them around. Pawn shops, garage sales, etc.

Board index » Rickenbacker amps