Board index » Just Basses

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: 4005 Club Members?
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:43 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
They're bought by collectors, not for playing. They're old & rare, so they command a high price. No working musician plays a semi-hollow body electric bass as their primary instrument.

...not necessarily, Jps gigs with his regularly.

Ok, there may be a few. But the point is that semi-hollow bodied basses are as rarely used as 17 stringers.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:31 am 

21 fret 4001 Club Members?

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:09 am 

I may be playing it tomorrow night at my New Year's gig!

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:45 am 

Quote:
No working musician plays a semi-hollow body electric bass as their primary instrument.

Don't forget Paul McCartney. He has played the majority of his career using a hollow-body Hofner as his main bass. In fact, his whole Beatles concert career was played using only two Hofners, covering hundreds of gigs. Plus, he recorded a good chunk of his Beatles catalog with them. His recent tour saw a Hofner being played exclusively on songs where he played bass.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:07 pm 

Good point.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:05 am 

Phil Lesh and Jack Casady both played hollowbody basses for a significant part of their careers. Jack still is with his signature Epiphone.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:48 am 

Hello,
I'm new to the forum and a huge fan of the 4005 bass.

I can't qualify to be a 4005 club member since I sold mine.
Here are pictures of it.
http://rickresource.com/rrp/temptingbass.html

I got a really great deal on it and I highly regret selling it in hindsight. I should have had it restored and painted in blackburs, my favorite finish. Although seeing it in a baby blue is truly a marvelous site. I would love to see it in Montezuma Brown burst as well.

I read the string and noticed the comments on how there wouldn't be enough interest to vaildate the reissue of the 4005.
Well, not sure if anyone on here has noticed the plethora of young bands reviving the post-punk sound from the 80's and if you notice the bass axe of choice is the 4001 or 4003. Bass Ricks are hot right now and have been building a momentum in the past 5 years.
Here in Seattle, Rickenbacker basses are in high demand. That 4005 pictured above I used in shows and you wouldn't believe the number of people coming up to me after a show and asking if my bass was real and where I purchased it. They loved how it sounded and looked.
It appears that collectors/players seem to be highly interested in the model and I feel certain that many new players would LOVE to get their hands on this model.
Right now is the prime time to market the bass and catch the wave of popularity of the Rickenbacker bass.

Please, Mr. Hall, consider reissuing this beautiful bass with updated features. I think one of the most beautiful basses ever to be made.

Ed
Seattle

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:32 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

This has already been discussed to death. There simply isn't a big enough market, present company notwithstanding, to justify the cost involved for re-tooling, not to mention the retail price that would be required to be viable.

Perhaps in the future when the going market price for the vintage units has gone up the numbers might look different but right now it would be a loosing proposition.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:08 am 

Thank you, Mr. Hall.

I apologize to the forum for bringing this up. I didn't realize there was a previous thread, that is now locked, that focused on this subject.

It's just strange for me to think the value of the basses have gone up so high in the last 9 years.
In 1997, I bought that pictured '67 for $1700. Total steal.
Today, here is what I found on the market.

'67 4005 FG $12,000 VG
'67 4005 FG $ 8,000 VG-
'67 4005/6MG $13,000
'67 4005/8FG $20,000

I'd prefer a 70's or 80's model if I can EVER find one.

Oh, well, the search continues.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:25 am 

Quote:
They're bought by collectors, not for playing. They're old & rare, so they command a high price. No working musician plays a semi-hollow body electric bass as their primary instrument.

Mani Primal Scream / Stones Roses did and sometimes still does ;)

Rob...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Board index » Just Basses