Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: Re: 4001 Bass with or without Treble pickup cover
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:19 pm 

The cover has been off mine since I bought it in 1974 !!!!!

Although believe it or not I still have it just in case I ever want to sell it !!

Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:42 am 

I'll add my two cents, that I've found no difference with the cover on and off. I leave it off because I have big hands and it was simply getting in the way of normal play, with a pick and slap play.

Although my original reason for removing the cover was less musical and more groupie. Being a huge Paul McCartney fan and a left handed bass player starting out in the late 70's, I noticed that Paul (playing with Wings) had the cover removed. If it was good enough for Paul, it was good enough for me. Who was I to question the master.

Over the years it just became comfortable. Rock on!

Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:40 am 

hi, if one would look on page 3 of this forum, someone asked the same ?. Mr.Hall has comments on this problem, The thread is about half-way down the page. I like mine off my bass, because I play over the back pup. But I do get a small buzz if i play in a building or under flou. lights. When my new bass gets shipped. I think I am going to leave it on.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:19 am 

To me, the perfect place to strike the strings when playing with a pick is directly above the treble pickup cover, so the cover makes the perfect handrest in the perfect position. But for fingerstyle, it does seem the best place to strike the strings is right where the cover sits. They don't look good with the cover removed, though.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:00 am 

I bought my 4001 used in 1985 (s/n UC897, March 1981) and it was missing the treble pickup cover. I can't buy a replacement because this bass has gold-plated hardware (yeah, I know you're thinking that it might be a knock-off or perhaps plated after it was manufactured, but it isn't so. Bill Meyers did a lot of interesting things and I wish he was still around so I could ask him) and I can only find a chrome cover. Based on what I'm reading here it doesn't make sense to buy a chrome cover and have it plated just to see if it makes a difference.

The original knobs were replaced with rounded Brassworks knobs, so no telling what the originals might have been.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:43 am 

I absolutely remove those freaking pickup covers ... and the mechanical mute ... and the Ric-o-sound ... I really enjoy removing the obsolete features off of my basses to make them easier to play ... with the mute and the mute superstructure and pickup cover removed palm muting, and fingering and picking are easier ... plus the cover is ugly ...

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:36 am 

Stupid questions...Must the chrome mounting ring be removed to pull the cover off? Do you need to take the strings off? Do you also put the springs back in place? I haven't tried removing mine for fear of doing irreversible damage.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:55 am 

You CAN take the cover off/put it on with the strings on the bass, but it takes at least 3 times as long and is a HUGE pain in the backside.
I've only done this job once with the strings removed (due solely to poor planning) when the mood struck to change the cover, & it's really the only proper way to "git R done"!
You do have to take the surround off the bass to install/remove the cover (mainly to retrieve/install the springs,spacers, & screws).
When changing strings is the best time, of course.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:01 am 

You can do it with the strings on, but you do need to loosen them a lot and there is a chance the surround will scratch the bass when you have it loose. You put the screw into the surround, the ground wire on the screw, then the spring, then the pickup. The other screw obviously just gets the spring then into the pickup.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:05 am 

Thanks guys. Hi John...I remember you from the Ampeg forum before it got shut down.

Board index » Just Basses