Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: Slow Night's Rumination
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:50 am 

Ok, what would it sound like putting a toaster in the bridge position of a 4003? Mounting would be interesting but doable by making a plastic holder shaped like the mounting part of the existing high gain bridge pickup. Would it be worth the work? Anyone know the winding ohms of the origional early 60's horseshoe bridge pickups? Since the hogh gain neck and bridge pickups are both in the 11k range, I started speculating....

Post subject: Re: Slow Night's Rumination
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:57 am 

FiregloRick (AKA Jeff Scott) has done this, but on a fretless. Surely not apples to apples but it's a start!

Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:23 am 

It is quite easy to mount a toaster to the baseplate of a higain pickup, even the holes are there already to do so! Remove the pickup from the baseplate by removing the two screws underneath the plate, plus you will have to cut one of the wires to totally remove the pickup. Get suitable screws/washers/nuts (preferably stainless steel) from you favorite hardware store and mount the toaster to the baseplate; snug it down but do not make it too tight as it will bend the plate and possibly damage it (it is too bad these are not aluminum like they used to be). Of course, you realize you have to unsolder the pickup leads from the selector switch and pot case in order to do all this.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:38 am 

Thanks for all this info. Having had the bridge pup loose when I removed the "horseshoe" cover, I was aware of how things mounted, so I wasn't worried about getting a toaster mounted up. It is nice to know the existing bottom plate could be reused.

How about the sound/tone? Anyone have input as to the difference? Having never heard either a toaster or an origional horseshow other than recordings (not live on a 4001 I was playing), I don't really know the difference in sound of the pickups involved here.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:21 am 

Just a note: I'm not Jeff Scott. I think that JPS is, though. If I recall, he has many nice 5 strings. I am the "Walrus" on the "other forum".

Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:55 pm 

Funny... I thought the Walrus was Paul!

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:06 am 

Quote:
Funny... I thought the Walrus was Paul!

And I just heard JL sing "I was the walrus, but now I'm John."

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:19 am 

Jeff Scott is jps and fireglorick! I know this because I have met him a few times.

The toaster in the bridge position is brighter and clearer sounding. When I first got the 4003FL the sound was very deep and full sounding but it did not have the clarity I was looking for, the toasters made a big difference. I have always liked toasters, as my first Rickenbacker was a 4005WB, a '67 model I got in '73, and the tone I have gotten has always been incredible with it.

Board index » Just Basses