Board index » Just Basses

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pickguardian
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:50 am 

It looks like it's been "chopped". And worse than that, has some very sharp edges around the outside. On the other hand, if that's where you play, then it isn't so noticeable, because that's where your hand is.

McCartney took the guard off and left the surround...and so have countless others.

I have several Rics, including a 2000 4003 S/5. It's a just-plain wonderful instrument and I treasure it. But the pickup cover is exactly where I play...therefore, it sounds much better with the cover off and the pickguardian attachment on.

It would seem that if Ric can now make basses without the cover, then they could also offer an insert for the surround....with instructions to shield the cavity against extra noise, and have this problem wrapped up...AND make some money in the meantime.

That would be my hope.

LoZ

Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:03 am 

I just added a chrome Pickguardian surround with a clear pickup guard. It looks fabulous!

See for yourself!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/ ... 0_0384.jpg

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:34 pm 

Quote:
I just added a chrome Pickguardian surround with a clear pickup guard. It looks fabulous!

See for yourself!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/ ... 0_0384.jpg

Nice 'made in USA' sticker, Pinto :P (I removed it as soon as I opened the case)

The pickguardian looks very nice in chrome!

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:28 pm 

I thought I'd leave it in the "new" condition for a few weeks... but since I've replaced the pickup cover, I guess that issue is moot huh? LOL

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:16 pm 

I guess my question LZR was what does it look like with the pickguardian plate without the pickup guard

Pinto, that looks great!!! I'm going to go ahead and do it as well. What version did you get? The thick or thin one?

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:07 am 

Pinto, it's all your fault! I ordered the plate and guard from pickguardian...that photo of your's did it...I'm hooked, and now I can't wait for it to come in.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:46 am 

He's really fast in shipping them out lanztek! And it is a dead simple install. Just make sure you polish the mirrored base really well and there is no dust on it BEFORE you lay the clear pickup guard over it. Any dust or smudges will show through and you won't be able to get at them without uninstalling.

To answer your question about what does it look like with just the "base" plate, it looks better than the gaping hole without anything there, but the pickup is still unprotected at the sides. This was one of JH's points about the Pickguardian. The other was that the Pickguardian, even with the pickup guard added, will not shield the pickup. I guess I don't understand THAT point because the neck pickup isn't shielded with a cover either. And all three of my strat's pickups are uncovered. If you have single coils, you can reduce the hum but it is part of what makes that single coil sound!

Here is another shot from directly over the pickup:

http://photobucket.com/albums/v494/drat ... 0_0385.jpg

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:38 am 

Quote:
I thought I'd leave it in the "new" condition for a few weeks... but since I've replaced the pickup cover, I guess that issue is moot huh? LOL

The top of my microwave is sporting my Made In USA sticker!

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:10 am 

Thanks Pinto,

He shipped it out about 2.5 hours after I ordered it, so it's on its way! The other picture you took(top angle) looks great. I think taking the cover off will make it much easier to play. I generally play with my fingers and on less complicated parts, playing in front of the cover is not a problem. But, on complicated (fast) parts I've been playing back by the bridge and I don't particularly like the sound back there. Hell, Jaco didn't even play THAT close to the bridge. This should put me more into the "sweet" spot

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:48 pm 

Quote:
I guess my question LZR was what does it look like with the pickguardian plate without the pickup guard

Pinto, that looks great!!! I'm going to go ahead and do it as well. What version did you get? The thick or thin one?

I'm not sure what you're asking lanztek? There was only one choice of thickness. The Pickguardian (base plate) comes in different colours (the mirrored one is slightly more expensive) and the pickup guard only comes in one thickness of clear plexi.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Just Basses