Board index » Sightings, Artists, and Events

Post subject: Tom Petty at Madison Square Garden
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:13 am 

My wife and I caught Tom Petty and the Heart Breakers at the Garden last night-Lots of RICs in use. Petty used his Fireglo 360-12 OS and "F" holed Fireglo 330 with gold pickguard/TRC and oven knobs, may have been the original "thank you" guitar RIC made for him. Mike Campbell used his Fireglo 360-12 and Jetglo, 2 pickup 325 which seemed to have a toaster at the neck and a RIC humbucker at the bridge. Put out a real kick ass sound. It was like seeing a guitar museum in action as well. Petty opened the show playing a white VOX teardrop. The band was good, but the sound management system sucked. It way too loud and muddy and was poorly balanced IMHO.

Post subject: Re: Tom Petty at Madison Square Garden
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:38 pm 

Cool! I'd love to see them play!

A 330 with an F-hole makes it a Model 1997 reissue, or a 330S. 1997 was the number assigned by Rose, Morris in England during the sixties, while 330S stands for 330 "Special," and would be the official Rickenbacker name for the guitar.

The "Thank you" Model 1997 given to Tom by Rickenbacker had a white pickguard and truss rod cover, along with the regular black vintage knobs. (See Richard Smith's Rickenbacker book, p. 101, for a color photo of this guitar.) Of course it's possible that he eventually switched for gold plastic trim and the older knobs. I believe the guitar you're talking about is shown in an article about Tom in Guitar Player from several years ago, when "Highway Companion" came out.

Too bad the sound was muddy. That's a bummer!

Post subject: Re: Tom Petty at Madison Square Garden
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:10 pm 

Quote:
Cool! I'd love to see them play!

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers will roll into Dallas with their Mojo Tour 2010 on September 21st and they will be in Houston on September 24th.

Board index » Sightings, Artists, and Events