Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post subject: blue 4003 restoration
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:00 pm 

Hello all fellow Rick lovers!

I bought a dark blue (w/black hardware) 4003, year 1989 from Germany 10 years ago from ebay and have loved it ever since.

Funny story to this, Canada customs actually partially disassembled the bass when I got it and marked the case with "canada customs inspected tape" anyways, I love it and have always wanted one since I was a kid and started playing bass.

Now I have this beautiful dark blue 4003, and it needs some tlc (10 years of my playing has left some wear and tear)

dare I say a little too much wear ad tear to be proud of and it's starting to look need tlc.

My question is
1) what is the colur called, and can I find nail polish to match (or any other product recommendations)

2) and where can I get little odds and ends of hardware?

thx, love the forum!

I play in 3 rock tribute bands and even have a Geddy Lee Sig Fender (which doesn't even come close to the 4003)

:)

Post subject: Re: blue 4003 restoration
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:40 am 

Cheapskate solution - I had a chip in the headstock of my Fireglo 330 guitar. I ended up finding some touch up paint, that pretty much matched up exactly, at the local auto parts store. I was able to bring a tiny flake in with me to help match it up. I believe it was Nissan Red. If the chip is small enough, auto touch up paint might work for you as well.

I also used some Harley-Davidson touch up paint on a Jetglo 4001 I used to own. That was a much bigger gash, but as I recall it matched perfectly. It's been more than a few years, and I might have been under the influence at the time.

Is your 4003 Midnight Blue? I wish I could give you some of mine off my binding ;)

Post Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:47 pm 

Re: Touching up the JG with Harley Black paint:

Black is black, except in cases in which the CV has yellowed, turning JG into OD khaki, so any black paint would work. To match the OD khaki tinge, mix a tad of yellow into the black until the match is achieved.

Re: The blue color: It's probably Midnight Blue, abbreviated "MID" and although there is a formula for it, chances are that it would have to be custom-mixed to match your specific guitar. I know of no nail polish that matches right out of the bottle, but you could probably mix it out of several colors if you knew how.

When I match MID my standard formula has never been an exact match to a factory finish, due to aging and RIC's use of at least three different MIDs over the years, so it always must be tinted to match.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:32 am 

Quote:
...where can I get little odds and ends of hardware?

Click on the Boutique tab at the top of the page.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:56 am 

yes its very dark blue.
thx for the tips !

Quote:
Cheapskate solution - I had a chip in the headstock of my Fireglo 330 guitar. I ended up finding some touch up paint, that pretty much matched up exactly, at the local auto parts store. I was able to bring a tiny flake in with me to help match it up. I believe it was Nissan Red. If the chip is small enough, auto touch up paint might work for you as well.

I also used some Harley-Davidson touch up paint on a Jetglo 4001 I used to own. That was a much bigger gash, but as I recall it matched perfectly. It's been more than a few years, and I might have been under the influence at the time.

Is your 4003 Midnight Blue? I wish I could give you some of mine off my binding ;)

Post Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:58 am 

did event see that!, I went to the ebay RIC store and it was empty.

thx!

Quote:
Quote:
...where can I get little odds and ends of hardware?

Click on the Boutique tab at the top of the page.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:16 am 

As long as we're talking colors, I have a cloverfield green that could use a little touchup, but this color doesn't seem to exist anywhere.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:18 pm 

I've got some mixed, but I'll bet it doesn't match your guitar. This vintage of color ambers substantially and unpredictably with age.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:42 am 

ah, good point. i guess i'll keep the "character" intact ;-)

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish