Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: Speaking of sounding like McCartney
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:38 am 

Watching the "Rain" tribute band on PBS as I type this. Not bad, except the bass player isn't using a pick. And he's right handed. But as far as I can tell all the guitars are correct.

I saw a tribute band at the California State fair named "The Fab Four" that was eerie close to the real thing. The bass player was even left handed. Had the head bob thing down and everything. He even sounded like McCartney's singing voice. I told my buddy that if they lost the bass player the band would be over. Hey... Just like the real Beatles!

Post subject: Re: Speaking of sounding like McCartney
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:37 pm 

You will have to know one thing that makes the Fab Four's bassist even more remarkable is the fact that he's really right handed. He plays bass left handed to make the look more authentic. If you see their whole show you will see him play Blackbird on acoustic Right-handed. Pretty amazing. That bassist also has a WINGS band with horns and a "Linda" and everything.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:53 am 

Interesting. I enjoyed their show quite a bit.

One of the most impressive parts was when the John Lennon character played the left handed Hofner upside down on certain songs.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:25 am 

There are actually quite a few right handed "Paul's" who learned to play lefty for tribute acts. I know 3 of them personally.

By the way, "The Fab Four", is being sued by " The Fab Faux", for looking and sounding too much like them. WTF? They are all Beatle trib bands. lol

Post Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:31 am 

Quote:
.....except the bass player isn't using a pick..

My band does some Beatles songs; I get a great sound fingerstyle on my 4001V63.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:50 am 

Far too many "tribute" bands, to be sure.
I never seen or heard one I've liked yet.

Mostly, the members consist of macabre parodies of the real Beatles to the point that it's a horrific insult.

Second (at best) most of these groups do one (perhaps 2) Beatles tunes they even come close to doing justice to.
I'd prefer it much better, if such "tribute groups" did the right thing by not even remotely suggesting The Beatles in a visual sense (except their guitars perhaps) and only performed a couple of Beatles tunes they truly have nailed.

I feel exactly the same about all of the "fake Elvis" guys that are even beyond grotesque parodies of the real thing.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:54 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
.....except the bass player isn't using a pick..

My band does some Beatles songs; I get a great sound fingerstyle on my 4001V63.

But I'm betting you guys don't dress up as the Beatles, play era correct guitars and have a set list designed around a "tribute" to the Beatles. Big difference between playing a few Beatles songs and trying to accurately recreate The Beatles experience.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:55 pm 

Quote:
Far too many "tribute" bands, to be sure.
I never seen or heard one I've liked yet.

Mostly, the members consist of macabre parodies of the real Beatles to the point that it's a horrific insult.

Second (at best) most of these groups do one (perhaps 2) Beatles tunes they even come close to doing justice to.
I'd prefer it much better, if such "tribute groups" did the right thing by not even remotely suggesting The Beatles in a visual sense (except their guitars perhaps) and only performed a couple of Beatles tunes they truly have nailed.

I feel exactly the same about all of the "fake Elvis" guys that are even beyond grotesque parodies of the real thing.

I think the trick is to not take it too seriously.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:53 pm 

I do not like, if a tribute band imitates the looks and sound of the original and tries to play all the songs exactly as they were on the old records. If f.e. Paul McCartney´s own band plays the Beatles´ songs today, they do not copy the same old arrangements either. And I think his modern versions of songs like "Drive My Car" or "Helter Skelter" are great.

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." (Elvis Costello)

Post Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:00 am 

Quote:
If you see their whole show you will see him play Blackbird on acoustic Right-handed.

He actually plays guitar left-handed now too. I saw them on Saturday and they did the entire Sgt. Pepper album with an orchestra and Indian musicians backing them. Amazing.

As for being sued by the Fab Faux, that's ridiculous, because I don't think the Fab Faux dress and act like the Beatles. They are a cover band, whereas the The Fab Four is a tribute band.

Board index » Just Basses