Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: Bartolini Mute Slot pickup
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:41 am 

Anyone have any experience with the Bartolini pickup that replaces the bridge mute? I saw one site that says it should only be used in conjunction with the other pickups... which would be kinda cool, but would also kinda defeat the purpose of adding a pickup.

Post subject: Re: Bartolini Mute Slot pickup
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:07 pm 

I experimented with one for awhile. On its own, it's not a very useful sound (unless you need a sound that's very thin and twangy.) Combined with the bridge pickup, it adds a slight modern zing to the overall tone. A great slap tone, by the way. But I had to lower the bridge pickup height so that it wouldn't overpower the mute pickup, and then the bridge pickup soloed didn't sound the way I liked anymore. (Your mileage may vary on this, due to differences in pickups over the years.) I eventually took out the Bart because it was a pain to have to adjust the pickup height all the time, and I liked the soloed bridge pickup tone better than the bridge+Bart tone. And also because I kind of felt like the Bart was violating the purity of my 4003. ;)

Post subject: Re: Bartolini Mute Slot pickup
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:07 pm 

I have one of them ... I had to remove some wood to make it fit ... it didn't really improve the tone ... I found that a 1/4 pound seymour duncan neck jazz pickup works better ... the bobin will need to be trimed slightle and when you remove the mute you will need to attach the ground wire somewhere because it is currently attached to your mute ...

I wire the jazz pickup in with the neck pickup and since it is reverse wound it stops the hum and adds a little brightness ... and when you run it with just the neck pickup the whole bass sounds like s 4005 ... it is a reversable mod and it does not change the look of the bass ...

Board index » Just Basses