Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: String height adjustment question.
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:49 pm 

Tried to find this topic elsewhere on the forum but couldn't find it, so I'll ask here. Just put a new 4003 Maple-Glo on layaway (always played Jet-Glo's in the past, but this one looks well built, symmetrical and plays well!), but there's one issue I've noticed on all the 4003's I've tried out recently and that is, while lowering the bridge to get a faster action, the adjustment screw on the G-string side tends to bottom out before a desirable low action can be acheived. The one I'm buying gets to where I want it to be but only has about a half turn left on the set screw before it runs out of travel room. I seem to recall someone mentioning that putting a washer under the bridge will help with that issue, but any other specific fixes (besides filing down the saddle and/nut) would be much appreciated. Thanks!

P.S. The neck is perfectly straight, so it's not a neck bow issue.

Post subject: Re: String height adjustment question.
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:19 am 

The dealer should have an in-house luthier to set-up the instrument before you take it home, and they should do it for free. If that's not part of the deal, then ask them to recommend one, or you will need to find a good luthier on your own, if you're not comfortable with filing the saddle or nut.

Each slot of the nut should be adjusted to hold the string a precise distance above the first fret, and you will need feeler gauges for that plus learn the proper technique, which is not difficult at all. Once the nut slots are properly set and the neck is perfectly straight, then you can work on the bridge height.

If the bridge is down as low as it will go and still not low enough, just file each saddle slot until its corresponding string starts to buzz slightly against the higher frets, then raise the bridge a little bit after all the saddles are done. It should play like butter after that.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:29 pm 

If you can get the in- house Tech to adjust it, that 's fine. However at this stage or until you have owned and played this guitar for proper run in period I would leave it as it is. It's best not to make any adjustment until you are familiar with this guitar. I wouldn't even consider touching the nut. Magicfingers solution is correct, but should only be done if you are certain it would be absolutely necessary, and would only be done after less invasive methods cannot be found to solve a problem such as this.

I think what you will find is that when you initially tried to adjust the bridge, you have not set the screws right. This is very common as to why bridge height cannot be set right. I had initial problems when adjusting my bridge soon after getting my guitar. There is something you must keep in mind when you adjust the bridge screw. The bridge should be kept as even as possible, and the screws need to be turned so each screw is in it housing.

At present that guitar has one screw bottomed-out, that is because the other screws need to be lowered. The balancing of the screws is the answer, it's a bit tricky to get right.
I made an adjustment as you have when I received my guitar, my guitar tech who owns a Ric set it up and showed me what I was doing wrong. It's a bit like a chair with 4 legs one of which shorter, it's uneven. You have screws to even it up but you must find the balance and the same pressure on all the screws. Just avoid doing anything major if there is an easy fix.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:54 pm 

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it.

I did have the in-house tech at this Sam Ash straighten the neck (they always seem to have some bow to them when they're hanging on the store walls) and the neck did seem nice and flat when I went back to play around with it. I have about a 1/2 turn left on the adjustment screw before it runs out of room after I got the string height where I like it, so at least I am able to get it where I want it. But I would like to tinker around with the neck/bridge adjustments once I bring it home to see if I can get a better balance on each side of the bridge. All four 4003's they had at this Sam Ash seemed to have that same set up issue, so maybe it's just the way their tech sets them up, not sure. But yeah, the last thing I want to do on a new Ric is to start filing away on the saddles or nut!

I do wonder if loosening the string tension a bit and then nudging the bridge around with my fingers would help to align it better? Never tried it before with my previous 3 Rics, but then again I never needed to!

Board index » Just Basses