Board index » Just Basses

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: what should I do now?
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:37 am 

Hi!

I'm new to the forum too!

I had the same problem on my new 4003 (bought last Mon. I found two things, 1, getting the neck as straight as possible helped a lot, and 2, the E string slot on the nut was cut too narrow and the string wasn't firmly touching the bottom of the groove.

I found out #2 when I went to set it up and I took the strings off to take a peak under the treble pickup (to see if I could reagange some stuff to keep the cover from moving when I adjusted the pickup; can't any more, dang!) and I found the E string was stuck, it was crammed into the nut slot. I havn't had a chance to do any fileing yet but It seemed to improve after I ran the string back and forth through the slot a few times. I also pushed down on the string at the nut once I restrung the bass to make sure it was seated OK.

Another thing I did was to raise the bass side of both pickups (well, rather I lowered the treble side of the neck pickup since it came completely raised).

The bass sounds much more even to me now. To me Ricks have never really been about huge amounts of lowend, not akin to a P-bass any way. No, they have their own sonic mojo happenin'. It can take a little getting used to.

~Paul :-)

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:50 am 

Yeah, Beenie, try raising the E-String side of the pickups. Don't worry if it's sitting at an uphill angle. That helped get a little more oomph out of my E string. And you're right - they sure are great-looking basses. Good luck.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:32 am 

It's absolutely all in the setup. Ricks are more sensitive than other instruments, but once you get them where they should be, they'll literally rock the house. I use regular Rickenbacker strings and it all works just great.
Even though Ricks come well set up out of the box, anything can shift during shipping, and a good setup will take care of all that. It might take two just to get it perfect, but it's totally and completely worth it and it would never take any more than that. You're dad's right, it is the best bass in the world- stick with the Rick!

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:12 am 

Quote:
It's absolutely all in the setup. Ricks are more sensitive than other instruments, but once you get them where they should be, they'll literally rock the house. I use regular Rickenbacker strings and it all works just great.
Even though Ricks come well set up out of the box, anything can shift during shipping, and a good setup will take care of all that. It might take two just to get it perfect, but it's totally and completely worth it and it would never take any more than that. You're dad's right, it is the best bass in the world- stick with the Rick!

I agree with this post. I am 54 and could have purchased any bass within a reasonable price range ($0-2500) and I chose the 4003. This may be a corporate forum site (rosy evaluations), but we really do love our bass choices.

[edit]I would also look at what grey wrote; I had to file the groove on my E string bridge just a tad also. The nut slot is another good suggestion.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:59 am 

all of us are only here cuz we either own rickenbackers,.....or want to own a rickenbacker.................

so,.....of course the comments are gonna be rosy............

but then,............rickenbacker is the cadillac of bass guitar..........and,...........a sound investment.........u can never lose on a Ric.........

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:06 am 

Quote:
.....and,...........a sound investment

Was that pun intended??!! :D

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:54 am 

lmao...............no.........never even thought of it...........was at a hockey game tonite,.........our team won.............and my brain is in hockey mode...........

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:33 pm 

wow! you guys know a lot about your basses, and it all sounds pretty complicated. but I'll tell my bass teacher about your posts, or better, he oughta look at this page himself. we'll figure that out. as I said earlier, I WANT to stick with that ric, but it has to kick, too! (that's almost a song, isn't it.)

btw, the name of my band is "Which Of Them Brujas" and we're gonna be world famous in a year or two! I hope I will use that hawt black and white bass in our first video!!! cheeeeeeers

bb queen

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:30 pm 

Well, I hate to sound like captain obvious, but the way I normally get a really sharp attack with any of my basses is to just turn the tone and volume all the way up and adjust the amp until I have a sound I like.

I also play most of the time with just the bridge pickup on.

The bass may benefit from a professional set-up, too.

One other thing, is on the bridge, there is a mute bar assembly. Unless you're trying to get a really muffly, woofy tone, this can't be touching any of the strings (the point of this thingy, as far as I can tell, is to make it sound like an old school standup bass)

Talk to more experienced ric users in your area, they could probably tell exactly what the issue is right away.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:55 pm 

been there, done that. yawn

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Just Basses