And my question is: WHY ONLY FOR JAPAN??!?! :cry:

- Matteo

Post subject: Re: Japanese limited edition models
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:52 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

matbard wrote:
And my question is: WHY ONLY FOR JAPAN??!?! :cry:

Gray market control. We have offered a variety of special models into different markets to make it impossible for domestic dealers to ship into areas they're not supposed to.

Also, our experience has been that consumers in most overseas markets do not whinge about the extra cost of these expensive-to-produce models. Here in the USA and to a lesser extent in the UK, buyers want all the high end goodies but are only willing to pay an Asian guitar price.

In simpler words, the Japanese and the Germans are more likely to put their money where their mouth is.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:10 am 

I'm sure Rickenbacker would sell their entire run of CB binding 4003 in the USA as quick as they could produce them. The higher priced (than a 4003) C64, C64S basses sold no problem.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:41 am 

basmansam wrote:
I'm sure Rickenbacker would sell their entire run of CB binding 4003 in the USA as quick as they could produce them. The higher priced (than a 4003) C64, C64S basses sold no problem.

I wonder if that's true. CB was available as a special order forever & yet it's rare to see after 73' .

Post Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:45 pm 

Mr Hall,

Your Dec. 5 comment seems a bit strident and a slight to all of the loyal US buyers like me that have purchased one or more of your company's guitars (in my case, three of them). We don't ALL demand "high end goodies" at "Asian guitar price" costs. A substantial number of us have recognized the value proposition in your guitars. It would have been nice if your comment had acknowledged this.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:57 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm surprised that you found this "strident" (and you're not the only one it seems). I look at this from a different perspective- this is a compliment to you, that you're one of the ones that stepped up to the plate and spent your money for what you wanted, on a quality item made in the US. The Rickenbacker owners are the ones that are, in fact "putting their money where their mouth is" and perhaps it wasn't clear that I was referring to the wider guitar buying public where I still think my comments are accurate.

The clamor to reissue the 4005 bass is a case in point. Everyone seems to want one but when we cost it out and indicate a likely selling price, the room goes silent. In the case of these special instruments, our overseas customers told us what they'd like to have and when we gave them the price, they enthusiastically said "yes", a very different scenario.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:20 pm 

Badanovski wrote:
basmansam wrote:

I wonder if that's true. CB was available as a special order forever & yet it's rare to see after 73' .

There are still a decent number of the midyear-ish Guitar Center special runs still unsold. I see a lot of posts wanting something new and/or claiming 'this special run' or 'that special run' would surely sell out right away, but the 4001S, 1996, 360/12 GH, and 360c63 SPC are all still available. The number of people wanting something new/different is a lot larger than the number buying, even amongst loyal enthusiasts. Not trying to put anyone down, but that's kinda just how it is. I was fortunate enough to get a 360c63 SPC, but understand that not everyone has the means at the higher price points on these special runs.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:30 am 

JohnHall wrote:
I'm surprised that you found this "strident" (and you're not the only one it seems). I look at this from a different perspective- this is a compliment to you, that you're one of the ones that stepped up to the plate and spent your money for what you wanted, on a quality item made in the US. The Rickenbacker owners are the ones that are, in fact "putting their money where their mouth is" and perhaps it wasn't clear that I was referring to the wider guitar buying public where I still think my comments are accurate.

The clamor to reissue the 4005 bass is a case in point. Everyone seems to want one but when we cost it out and indicate a likely selling price, the room goes silent. In the case of these special instruments, our overseas customers told us what they'd like to have and when we gave them the price, they enthusiastically said "yes", a very different scenario.

John Hall
About the REISSUE of the 4005......... What was that selling price that made the room go silent ??
I don't think it was more than some of the OTHER MANUFACTURERS I've seen.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:08 am 

The Japanese limited edition that I really like was the Model 1999 reissue from a few years ago. I think there were 50 pieces made. There's a photo of a Fire-glo example in Paul Boyer's book.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:09 pm 

Uh........I have purchased a 4003 Mapleglo, a 4003W and a 4001S Special (P) all in the span of 1 year. That's a pretty big investment even by German and Japanese standards. I too would like to see the Model 1999 reissue from a few years ago. I love the "S" body shape and tone.

Board index » Just Basses