Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: Re: NBD: 4003 Midnight Blue
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:42 pm 

superheavydeathmetal wrote:
Sweet! I have an '86 in Midnightblue and it's absolutely killer with Swing 66 strings and the stereo rig I have it running through.

Mine has black hardware and binding. Does yours? I've seen it both ways.

I had a 94 model that I bought brand new like that. I have been looking for another one ever since!

They seem to be extremely hard to find these days. If anyone has a midnight Blue Tuxedo 4003 they want to sell to me please PM me.

I put mine on Layaway for 900.00 back in 1994.

Thanks!

Post Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:35 am 

What's a "midnight Blue Tuxedo"?

Post Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:14 pm 

Paul D. Boyer wrote:
What's a "midnight Blue Tuxedo"?

I refer to the black hardware and pick guards as a tuxedo model. I guess technically they only called the white ones with the black hardware, but I also read where they called all RICS with the black tuxedo models.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:23 pm 

Um, only the specific models that had maple fingerboards and finished in white along with the rest of the instruments are Tuxedo models. Anything else is just white with BT.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:00 pm 

Yeah, a lot of folks say "tuxedo" for just about any Rick bass with black and white on it. There's certainly nothing "wrong" with that, it just muddies the descriptions of color/trim combinations. The "real" Tuxedo was the overall white 4003SPC made only in 1987. It featured a white-painted maple fingerboard with tiny "pin dot" position markers.

Midnight Blue (MID) when it first came out (1985) was standard with black binding, plastic trim, and blackened hardware (tuners, tailpiece, pickup surrounds, etc.). When RIC first developed the full-black-trim idea, they applied it as standard to instruments finished in White, Midnight Blue, Silver, Red, and even Mapleglo! It was also available as "reverse trim" for an extra charge on any other color. Just in the last couple of years, one (and so far, JUST ONE) Fireglo with the reverse-trim black has surfaced. Other oddities that have been documented are black trim on Ruby, Desert Gold, and Jetglo! Eligible, but not seen so far, is black trim on Turquoise, Sea Green, and Burgundy. Likewise, white/chrome trim as "reverse trim" has been spotted on Red, White, and Silver. Standard black trim (and the reverse trim option) ended in 2002. All this and more in the book.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:55 am 

I love your Book Paul! Great work indeed! I have an 83 Autumnglow (so they say) with Black pick guard and truss rod cover, and a 4080/6 burgundy glow with the same setup yet both have white trim. I guess it could be that this was either put on by previous owner's, or used the factory option at the time when they ordered the guitar.

Here is a link to a picture of them:

http://i1025.photobucket.com/albums/y31 ... G_0531.jpg

I am looking for a 1994 midnight blue or Red, (but preferable midnight blue 4003), with black trim and the rest. If anyone has one for sale or knows where I can find one, please let me know! Thanks.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:13 pm 

Right. The black pick guard and TRCs were available as far back as the early-mid 1970s. But the blackened metal hardware came along in around 1985. Black binding on bodies was available on certain colors in the late '70s, but the black-bound neck seems to have started in the early '80s. You usually find pre-early 80's basses in White or some Autumnglo/Walnut with black-bound bodies and white-bound necks. I haven't quite verified that black-bound necks were on 4002s and 4003s only. It's possible that some very late 4001s got the black-bound necks.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:15 pm 

Thanks Paul for that insight! And it looks like I have found a bass I was looking for in a 1997 model on Reverb.

Someone has modded it with Bartolini pickups though. They call this an upgrade? Not IMHO!

I would have to put it back to original condition. At least they have the original bridge and pickups with the bass so you can.

The 1900.00 price tag for this bass is a far cry from what I paid in the 90's! Hind sight 20/20.

Here is what I am looking for but hopefully for a lower price:

https://reverb.com/item/1035797-rickenb ... t-upgrades

Post Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:48 pm 

I have had the Walnut and Midnight Blue at the same time for about one month.
Bought the Walnut at Sam Ash in Manhattan and a little later the Midnight Blue just because it was very cheap.
Exactly the same besides the color. Eventually I sold the Midnight Blue because I do like the looks of the walnut more but mainly because the woody maple neck feels better better to me.
I'm sure you will be happy with the 4003W!

Board index » Just Basses