Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: Set-up problem after refret
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:30 am 

I have a 1977 4001 that has served me well for over 20 years. It has not only been the best Rick I've tried and owned but for me, THE best bass over all...
After many miles on the roads and hours of studio recording, it was time for the inevitable refretting. Besides the fact that the frets were worn and uneven the main thing that made me notice this was that the A-string was buzzing a lot from 2nd-10th fret. Nothing strange since those frets were the most worn ones.
Now the strange stuff: After a very good and well researched refret work by a serious guitar tech (who is also a close friend of mine which gave me the opportunity to monitor the work process step by step) the buzz is still there... And on the 2nd-10th fret on the A-string only!
After this, both him and I spent countless of set-up hours with no results - still buzzing on the A-string (and yes we tried many different strings - types and gauges).
I am quite familiar with Rickenbacker basses in the sense that I have done many set-ups, I know how the truss-rods work on old Ricks, I know that the neck should be dead straight or almost dead straight etc. but since I could not get this baby working as she once did I went to seek help in one of the most reputable guitar labs in scandinavia and thought that maybe they could find the fault with their PLEK-machine. After their first try - no difference.
Then they say that the fret work ain't well done (although it was) and needs to be re-done togheter with a leveling of the fret board to obtain a correct radius... I'm in doubt but finally get talked in to it. After that and many PLEK-checks -still the same fault.
Think I've tried everything and don't know what to do but still want my bass to be the same it once was - all ideas would be highly appreciated! Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Set-up problem after refret
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:47 am 

Hmmm... maybe look at the nut/saddle... You said you did setups, but maybe recheck the string height. At this point pull the rods and make sure they are OK?

Post subject: Re: Set-up problem after refret
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:58 am 

TES wrote:
Hmmm... maybe look at the nut/saddle... You said you did setups, but maybe recheck the string height. At this point pull the rods and make sure they are OK?

Thanks for the quick reply. I had the rods out and checked them, we even tried to switch them around. String height, nut and saddles was checked by me and the plek machine. I really have no clue

Post subject: Set up problem after refret
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:01 pm 

i have problem finding the creatures who hold the set item parts can any1 help?

Board index » Just Basses