Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Strings help
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:21 am 

Hi,

I just bought a 2003 330/6 fireglo. I am an beginner/intermediate player and I don't know much about strings. My other guitar is a Gibson and has .09 - 46 Gauge strings which I like. Any anyone recommend me strings for my RIC?
Thank you in advance for any information.

Post subject: Re: Strings help
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:49 am 

if you like the .009 to .046 gage, stick with it. Whatever gets you through the night, is alright. Any difference between the plain strings is negligible. Between the Wound strings you have Flat Wound and Round Wound. Try both and see which type you like best.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:46 pm 

Since a Rickenbacker 330 has a trapeze tailpiece and less break angle over the bridge than does a Gibson with its stop tailpiece (as commonly adjusted, meaning screwed almost all the way down) (and even though they are essentially the same scale), there is a little less downforce over the bridge. This can cause buzzes and strings jumping out of the bridge slots if you bend the strings heavily, or at worst, the bridge dislodging.

Yes, start with 9's, if that is what you are used to. Then after a few months of getting used to the feel of the 330, try 10's, and then after a few more months try 11's. You will get more tone and sustain as you go up in gauge. If after that you decide to backpedal to 10's, fine. Everyone has his/her own feel.

BTW - Gibson OEM strings from the factory are 10's.

If this sounds heavy, remember until the mid-60's the standard strings for both acoustics and electrics were 12's or 13's. That is where the modern 10's set with a plain 3rd comes from: buy a 13's set, a banjo D string which is .010, and throw away the .56 low E string. Viola! the result is the 10-46 set that we are all used to.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:38 am 

You might like to try a compressed wind string like Rickenbacker's or GHS Nickel Rockers - they have a bit more of a vintage tone and feel. And flatwounds would be closer to the sound of strings from the 1960's if you're into that sort of tone.

I switch back and forth between the two on my 360/6 - I never use round wounds on my Ricks as the tone doesn't sound right to me.

As mentioned before you can use 9's or move up to 10's - but be aware each type of string will feel a bit different, and some sets use different gages beyond the first string we often use to ID a set ("9's", "10's" etc). Not all "10" sets range from 10-46, and not all have the same 3rd or 4th etc string gages.

Many players have their guitars set up by a qualified guitar tech when changing gages, as changes in string tension and diameter cause small changes in feel and intonation. And while new Ricks are generally set up better than most new guitars, since you bought yours used it the setup may have been changed by a previous owner - and setup is a very individual thing. If it feels, plays or sounds anything less than perfect you may benefit from a professional setup. This isn't something normally done by the corner music store, big-box dealers or a "buddy with tools" - but there are qualified techs in Toronto that you can find through local pro players.

Board index » Setup And Technical