Board index » General Forum

Post subject: Tom Petty's personal 660/12
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:43 pm 

I have some questions about it, I hope you guys can help!

1. Is it a prototype?
2. What year was it made?
3. What's the serial number?
4. Does it have a ROS jack?
5. Did he have a 6 string version of it too?

Thank You :)

Post subject: Re: Tom Petty's personal 660/12
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:07 pm 

The search engine is your friend:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6777

Post Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:17 pm 

Thank you Scott! :)

I saw that thread last night before I posted, and it doesn't have any of the info in it I'm looking for. It seems to be mostly about Mike's 620/12.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:34 am 

Um, if you are talking about the guitar Tom Petty is holding on the cover of the Damn the Torpedoes album, it is Mike's guitar.

If you are talking about the current Tom Petty model, that is, of course, a different guitar.

From https://reverb.com/news/tom-petty-descr ... -interview :

"Can you tell me how your signature 660/12TP model came about? It had the shape that’s been associated with you since you appeared on the cover of the Damn The Torpedoes album [1979] with Mike’s solid 620/12."

"They approached me about doing a signature model, and yeah, they wanted to use that solidbody one. So I said OK, here’s what I’d do. I would make the neck a little bit wider because in the old ones, when you get down near the end, it can be really hard to fit all your fingers in, you know? So I had them expand the neck just a little bit. It made it a lot nicer. And, really, I just added a few little decorative appointments to it, like the checkerboard binding on the front. I think they made about a thousand of those. Then they just took my name off and kept making them, you know?"

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:01 pm 

Thanks again Scott, much appreciated.

Royce :)

Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:29 pm 

You're welcome.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:31 am 

"They approached me about doing a signature model, and yeah, they wanted to use that solidbody one. So I said OK, here’s what I’d do. I would make the neck a little bit wider because in the old ones, when you get down near the end, it can be really hard to fit all your fingers in, you know? So I had them expand the neck just a little bit. It made it a lot nicer.[/quote]

Even Tom Petty thought the thin neck was too hard to play, and wanted a wider, more playable neck!!

Post Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:06 pm 

Hi
I am English and live in Sussex in the UK.
I bought one of the Tom Petty 660/12 Limited Editions new in 1991. It was a 12 week wait while it was made and shipped to England.
After such a long wait I was really excited when it finally arrived. However there was some very poor finishing.Clumsy filler used around the sharkfin fret markers, one of the pickups was on the skew, and a wrong sized screw in the trapeze tail piece that didn't match the others.
In those days Rickenbacker had an office in Manchester and I contacted them and it went back and I was told it would be destroyed. Two days later I received a brand new one which had been diverted to me. It was perfect and the body had an exceptional piece of Birdseye maple.
I can confirm they only made a 1000 for worldwide distribution and the only colours available were Fireglo and Jetglo. I sold mine for double what I paid for it in 2016 and now regret it. I saw one up for sale the other day for £4500 on eBay.
I have a 620/6 MG and a 330/6 MG and I honestly think they are a better made product now than before.
I have loved Rickenbackers ever since I played a friend's 330/6 FG in 1965 and I think I always will.

Board index » General Forum