Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: 4001C64 Setup
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:58 am 

I just purchased a 4001C64 that was old inventory from a Sam Ash store in New Jersey. The bass was manufactured in 2002. The reason it had not sold was that it had obvious problems. The most obvious being a smashed in pick guard. I fixed the pick guard and replaced the factory strings with medium light GHS Bright Flats. I then brought it in to my local music shop for a set-up. The luthier there has a reputation for doing quality work; however, he seemed perplexed when trying to adjust the action on the bass. He told me that the saddle was in the lowest position (it was) and that other than filing down the nut to drop the strings closer to the fret board he was at a loss to improve the action. When I suggested that he try to adjust the truss rods in order to re-align the neck he stated that truss rods are only used to straighten out a neck, and not used to adjust the action. I disagree, especially on a Ric. Should I take this bass to a luthier who has had more experience with Rickenbackers or is this the bottom line? Any other advice?

Post subject: Re: 4001C64 Setup
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:52 am 

I'd take it to another luthier or do it yourself, it's easy on new Ric basses to adjust truss rods. I don't know if technically he's right or wrong as I'm not a luthier but straightening the neck out sometimes does bring the action a lot lower if it has a significant bow in it as they aften will after having sat for three years. I have filed nuts a little lower on new Rics though myself, it's my preference, some I leave alone.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:02 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The starting point for our instruments is a dead flat neck. Most luthiers unfamiliar with our instruments will balk at that, because most other instruments need some "relief" since the adjustment is not capable of being done so fine or critical.

That would be the first thing I'd want to know for this instrument, as that would affect bridge height more than anything.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:15 am 

Congrats, fellow NJ resident. I know the bass well. If I recall it was missing a Truss Rod Cover too. What did they do about that?
Anyway, I know a very good luthier in Northern NJ that may be able to help you. He does all of my work on the two 4001's that I have, and they play great.
Send me an email and I'll get you some contact info.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:28 am 

Hey, FireGlo. You're right! Among the bass' problems was a missing TRC and case. They shipped it out in a cheap case that I quickly discarded for a new RIC case. (By the way, although I have often visited NJ, I live in the Pacific NW; it's a convoluted story of how I ended up with this bass.)

I was able to locate a correct "Happy Face" TRC from another NJ music store. I have no idea about what happened to the original or the case. Go figure! But the bass plays and sounds fine and considering the problems that I know I was buyng, the price was excellent! I just need a good luthier in Washington to do a proper set up.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:31 am 

If you're in the Seattle area check in with the guys at Bass Northwest, they may be able to point you toward a good local guy. Or, you could consider shipping it down the coast to Dale who would do a good job.

Adjusting the truss rods, while not too difficult takes a little patience, after 30+ years of owning and playing Rics I've only recently taken the plunge and adjusted the rods on my 4003. The process was relatively easy, and results were great.

Not sure if I'd take on the rods on my 72 4001 though. The "other" Ric Forum has several good threads on Truss Rod adjustment, both old and new.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:54 pm 

thx1955:

OK, I might take the plunge myself; however I would like to know some of the physics involved with truss rod adjustment. I need to pull the top of the neck near the head back in order to get it flat as indicated by John Hall. Do I do this by tightening the nuts? They already are pretty tight. Do I loosen them, let the bass set for a while and then tighten them back up? Do I pull back in the heck and then tighten them? Maybe a factory tech can give me some advice?

Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:34 am 

If you can do it, take it to Blue Guitar in San Diego. Ask for Uris. I thought I had a truss rod problem, after a bad refretting, and this man made it the best best action on a bass that I've ever owned

Post Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:44 pm 

Quote:
thx1955:

OK, I might take the plunge myself; however I would like to know some of the physics involved with truss rod adjustment. I need to pull the top of the neck near the head back in order to get it flat as indicated by John Hall. Do I do this by tightening the nuts? They already are pretty tight. Do I loosen them, let the bass set for a while and then tighten them back up? Do I pull back in the heck and then tighten them? Maybe a factory tech can give me some advice?

Try tightening the nuts just a bit. 1/4 turn as much. You'd feel the difference immediately.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:53 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's all in here:

http://www.rickenbacker.com/pdfs/manual.pdf

Board index » Setup And Technical