Board index » Just Basses

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Why did they stop?
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:40 am 

Quote:
well,......when they have the kinda money macca and the ox made, i fail to see where money would be an issue.............i have an average income......i play my RIC exclusively and i buy my own roto-sounds.........i do it because i love that instrument........it's simply the best quality bass on the market........and it didn't put me in the poor house to buy it and the strings i use.......
as far as getting paid for it,.............all of us get paid when we play a gig or record.........and i think the big fellas get paid a lot more that most of us and can more than absorb the cost.......plus,.....RICs last much longer......that's a testament to the quality and care the company puts into each and every instrument produced....

to me,.........it's like saying that some top hollywood movie star who gets 20 million a pic, drives a chevette cuz he can't afford a cadillac........

Artists have "endorsement contracts," sometimes which is why Geddy uses a Jazz bass live. Mr. Hall has enlightened us to the reason why Sir Paul doesn't use his Rics live (his bad back). As for Mr. Entwistle, money was not an object, no, he just never seemed to be content with just one kind of bass. Even after he had those "buzzard bass"es made for him, he still didn't use them exclusively.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:52 am 

Geddy only used his Rickenbacker on Moving Pictures for the tracks Red Barchetta and The Camera Eye. For the other tracks he uses his Jazz bass. He also uses some kind of chorus on most of the tracks..

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:40 am 

Why do artists change guitars? Why do spouses cheat on each other sometimes? It's the thrill of the new. Somethign different for a change.

I've gone exploring from Ricks several times and still (want to) come back. My first bass was a Rick and my main bass for many years was a Rick.

No matter what I own, I'll always have (or wish I still had) a Rick.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:19 am 

Thanks for the Moving Pictures answers. It's my 1st or 2nd favorite Rush album (still can't decide) and an important (pivotal) album for them. BUT, so far, we've got a 'doesn't matter', an 'everything but Vital Signs', and an 'only Red Barchetta and Camera Eye' that he used a Ric. Any good Rush references??

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:55 am 

I think some part is that there are more guitars now that sound like a Ric. Plus, there is more EQ available to make any guitar more crisp, as a Ric. It used to be that to have a Ric sound, you needed a Ric. I think all the features of the 4001 meet or exceed guitars in the $4000 range, but I will admit the high priced guitar I have can sound exactly like a Ric. But the Ric was $450 new in '73, quite a bargain. I would chose a Ric over the other for my next purchase, but it will be a 5 string fretless.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:56 am 

Quote:
Paul has a bad back and simply needs the lightest possible instrument during a long show. Be assured his Rick's get plenty of use in the studio and any info to the contrary is erroneous and/or was supplied with an agenda. I know because I've visited him in the studio...

OK, I need to reply to this accusation by John Hall. I started the "McCartney's 'Chaos...' no 4001S bass" thread in "Sightings, Artists, and Events" section of this forum.

I was simply relating *fact* that when you read the "Chaos..." CD liner notes, the Hofner is the only bass listed - certainly no 4001S or any other Ric model. I also related that it is unfortunate. There was no agenda there. I just bought my 2nd Ric ('98 4003), so I'm hardly out to slam the model line or company. I've been having a blast posting on this forum about my Rics and adding helpful info as I come across it - sort of a johnallg in training. I think this forum has been a great thing since it started (and more musical instrument makers should do it frankly).

That written, we all need to be cautious when making broad generalizations, including musical instrument manufacturer CEO's.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:38 pm 

Well, I think John is talking about the recent years, not just the 'Chaos...' album, and, indeed, he's answering to the people who assumes that Paul never played his 4001S in studio again, after Flowers in the dirt or Tug of war.

Mr Hall has proved to be a very cautious man.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:40 pm 

Quote:
Thanks for the Moving Pictures answers. It's my 1st or 2nd favorite Rush album (still can't decide) and an important (pivotal) album for them. BUT, so far, we've got a 'doesn't matter', an 'everything but Vital Signs', and an 'only Red Barchetta and Camera Eye' that he used a Ric. Any good Rush references??

Just believe me. He only used his Ric on Red Barchetta and the Camera Eye. You can hear it yourself. I've read that many times in Geddy interviews.
If you have any other related questions, ask me :)

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:02 pm 

I believe! Thx, Anoukane. I just rewatched the youtube of Red Barch live; darn that Geddy..so great..so effortless.

I went to their site and all I could find about current equipment was Sans-amp for Geddy. I fondly recall his classic rig (SVT/2xV4B; Sunn Coliseum/4x15EV). What's he using live, now? And -if I may- how did he record Moving Pictures? DI from pre-amp? Mic'd?? Any help, appreciated.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:18 pm 

many of us use different basses ... I own and play different brands ... the Ric has a special tone ... but you can get a similar sound out of a Fender ... the old 4001 basses were a little problematic for a bass tech ... the truss rods, and bridge are not easily adjusted ... the modern 4003 is a better touring instrument than the old 4001 ... the 4004 even better ...

There is no perfect instrument ... to get a strength you quite often also create a weakness ... what is the best bass ... it is a matter of taste ...

the hofner is an interesting bass, but it is not nearly as good as a Ric ... the jazz and p-bass are both good designs ... the American made ones can be very good ... the are some excellent boutique basses made out there ...

My preference is modern music, 5 string basses, and old passive electronics like a Fender or Rickenbacker ...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Just Basses