Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post subject: Tight truss rods
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:12 pm 

I have a Ric bass that has tight truss rods. The nuts themselves are tight. I can't turn them any direction. I don't want to apply too much torque for fear of shearing the rods.

Advice?

Post subject: Re: Tight truss rods
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:47 pm 

Since no one offered advice, I will offer this. Spray WD-40 on a plate, then use a q-tip or small brush and wipe some onto the threads at the nut. It may take a couple applications, but WD-40 is a penetrant and should loosen the nuts up. Be careful not to get it on the finish as it could gel the conversion varnish finish.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:05 am 

I use a product called Corrosion-Cracker.It is clear reddish-orange,and smells like good,old-fashioned horse linament,like Absorbine!I apply it with a needle-bottle (just a DROP),and got both from our music store's band instrument repair department.DO NOT try to tighten those nuts! If anything,back them off (after removing the strings),and lubricate the threads on both the rod & nuts,AND the bearing face of the nut,AND the washer between the nut & block.Use a Q-Tip to mop up any excess product,and be VERY CAREFUL! I find that this works 99% of the time.Then,and ONLY then,can you proceed to tighten them.And,some older (and newer basses) need a little help bending back a bit,then just tighten the nuts to hold the shape.Check out the Owners Manual under the SERVICE tab above.If you have ANY doubt,take it to a PROFESSIONAL luthier,with Rickenbacker experience,if you can find one.Let us know how it turns out...and remember,I am in NO WAY responsible if you ruin your bass!

Post Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:01 am 

63's advice is spot-on.

Ruining the bass is a long-shot. You may ruin the truss rods, which are hard to source, but can be made by a competent luthier, using a ruined old one as a pattern.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:09 am 

Thanks,Paul! That means a lot coming from you.

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish