Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Chrome Ricky
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:01 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I wonder if the intent is an instrument made of metal, or just one that looks like chrome? The latter is relatively easy to do, just a specialized finishing technique over a standard wood instrument. Not that we're going to do something like this, mind you!

Post Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:34 pm 

I want a fully metal body guitar. I think the sound of a metal body electric guitar is just unbelievable. Nothing like it, which is why I want one

Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:04 pm 

Check with Atlanta Discount Music. Marshall has a tele body guitar that is all metal and relic looking. It is also engraved or stamped in areas not sure which. It looks cool and sounds pretty wild. Wish I could tell the maker, but it is a one off kind of thing.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:38 am 

Quote:
I want a fully metal body guitar.

Gives new meaning to the term Heavy Metal...

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:00 pm 

Quote:
Check with Atlanta Discount Music. Marshall has a tele body guitar that is all metal and relic looking. It is also engraved or stamped in areas not sure which. It looks cool and sounds pretty wild. Wish I could tell the maker, but it is a one off kind of thing.

I emailed them and the metal body they've got is an 1936 National for $3299!!!!!

However, he did say that he's just had a guy in with a lefty 360/12 FG asking if he'd sell it for him for $1199 plus shipping.... Tempting, but I can't afford that! It's also FG. Bummer....

Post Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:35 pm 

Why is it that I haven't got a single reply to any of the emails I've sent to makers of metal body guitars?

Do you reckon it could be something to do with the fact I'm a lefty? Or my age?

It's quite frustrating that they seem to be ignoring me

Post Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:38 am 

It's an almost given fact that you're not going to find a Rickenbacker with a metal body, since only RIC can make their style body guitars. That's probably the reason you haven't gotten any answers.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:23 pm 

Check with them again. This is brand new "boutique" type guitar if they still have it. He misunderstood you apparently as they do sell steel guitars and dobros (sp).

Post Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:05 pm 

Perhaps the foremost metal bodied guitar builder at the minute is James Trussart who is into the industrial & distressed look (though his shiney models are nice).

As for chromed finish guitars Sims custom shop in the UK offer several methods of producing the finish (the method can be dependant on both cost and body shape).

If you want a Ric styled guitar / bass then I would suggest the latter is it would be unlikely for Ric to license such a instrument http://www.simscustom.com/html/guitar_of_the_month.htm

Rob...

Post Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:51 pm 

I'm not so much interested in a chrome finish.
It would be great if Ric could license a few aluminium body guitars made by an independent company so it wouldn't affect their own production. Maybe do it as a limited edition run of, say, 30 or so of each model in the ric range. It'd maybe take a bit of planning, but if any were made officially, I'd find a way to buy one, no question.

Would anyone buy one if Ric pulled the trigger on such a project?

Go on Mr Hall, you know you want to... I know I do......

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish