Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Re: cloudy finish on fretboard
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:41 am 

You might need a pro to buff that haze out of the clear...

Post Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:42 am 

Quote:
Yeah, i'ts kinda strange. Maybe it's been there all along and I'm just now noticing it. Like I said it's just the last 4 or so frets up the neck. There is also what appears to be some kind of polish residue along side the frets. Jay

Howdy Jay,

I had the same issue on my 620/12. What worked for me was a dry cloth 100% Cotton diaper (Not used of course) (LOL) and some hard rubbing. Good Luck!

Steve

Post Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:28 am 

Since you're noticing a polish residue along the frets, what you could be seeing is a wax build up. A soft cotton cloth dampened with a bit of naptha will remove any built up wax. Do NOT use alcohol.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:54 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Try hitting the hazy area with a blowdryer (not too much, you could blister the clear) and see what happens. My guess is moisture trapped inside of the finish and a little heat may be able to release it.

When we see this on guitars on the floor here this is what we do, except with heat guns.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:15 pm 

Did you buy the guitar new,or used? If it's used,then I'd lean toward a wax buildup..If it's new,then it could very well be what Ben alluded to,although I'd be inclined to think it would have been that way when you got it if that were the case..I've never seen moisture in a finish crop up months later.Having said that,just because I've never seen it,doesn't mean it couldn't happen..

I'm of the same mindset as Paul,in that I'd like to see it right in front of me in order to make any sort of assessment.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:36 am 

I bought the guitar new, from MF. I have not tried any of the suggestions yet, but I will go with the least invasive first. I have not used any wax on it at all, only maybe two or three doses of Dr Stringfellow cleaner/lubricant. I really appreciate everybodies help. Jay

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:14 pm 

If it's IN the finish, it's moisture. Due to spraying patterns (and the fact that these guitars and basses are ALL hand-sprayed by real human beings!), the finish will always be thicker on the area of the fretboard nearest the body.

I recently completed a 381 finishing project, and when I went into the booth after letting the varnish cure for a few days while I was in SoCal at the 75th, I noticed the cloudiness we're discussing here. My first thought, too, was to reach for the heat gun. which I will do this morning when I get in.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:29 am 

As Ben suggested and I suspected, about two or three minutes with the heat gun took care of the cloudiness. When doing this, however, success lies in the technique...hold the heat gun or hair dryer about 6 inches from the surface of the finish, and move it back and forth constantly to avoid hot spots.

If you overheat the CV it will blister! By heating the general area, you'll minimize the risk of this. Once the blushed area heats to the proper temperature, you can actually see the cloudiness disappear before your very eyes.

Board index » Setup And Technical