Board index » Setup And Technical

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: 330 String Balance Issue
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:27 am 

Turning the pickup around won't change anything -"juggling" the polepieces will. Care to send those pickups my way? I'm sure I can solve the problem for you. Cheers.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:40 am 

Quote:
Turning the pickup around won't change anything -"juggling" the polepieces will. Care to send those pickups my way? I'm sure I can solve the problem for you. Cheers.

Could you please explain what you mean by juggling? Thanks.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:50 am 

Sure. By "juggling the polepieces" I mean raising the high E string on both pickups, or even switching the high E and the G string polepieces to achieve even volume across the strings. I forgot to mention that some ten years ago I owned a 1989 360 guitar displaying the very same problem. Even though it had "old-style" high-gains, making any attempt to move, let alone remove the polepieces on them risky at best, I did switch the high E and the G string polepieces on both pickups, and it worked out beautifully. I still regret having sold that guitar.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:00 pm 

Thanks, crazyrick. I think taking pickups apart might be beyond what I care to attempt, but would you mind explaining the step by step process you used to switch the poll pieces?

Post Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:21 pm 

In simple terms, you pull out both the high E and the G string polepieces - the E being shorter than the G - switch them, and re-insert them into the pickup bobbin.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:03 am 

OK, I've just had a pair of toasters fitted to my Ric and they sound fantastic...

...but they haven't cured the string balance problem :-(

Could a dodgy pot be causing this? Anything else? It is definitely an electrics problem.

Thanks for any help, once again.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:38 am 

I think this problem is purely physics. The string is smaller, it creates a smaller vibration, therefore less for the magnet to pick up. problem solver? stronger magnet, or closer magnet. or compressor. whatever you want. EQ some more highs might help to

Post Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:17 am 

Quote:
In simple terms, you pull out both the high E and the G string polepieces - the E being shorter than the G - switch them, and re-insert them into the pickup bobbin.

Really? You can do that without damaging the pickup? Do the pole pieces pull out that easy?

Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:50 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

As noted here and in the sticky post at the beginning of this section, this is not customer service and therefore the wrong place to ask if you want a quick response.

But I'll talk about the pole pieces. Yes, the modern Hi Gains, those with the molded bobbin can have the pole pieces removed, replaced, or readjusted, even though that wasn't part of the design. The older ones, however, where the pole pieces are part of the bobbin will be destroyed if the pole pieces are turned or removed.

Soon all of the Hi Gain and bass treble pickup coils will have adjustable pole pieces; we're in the transition process to this right now and you'll see guitars with both styles until stocks of the old parts are completely used up.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:21 am 

The adjustable pole pieces will be a great improvement, John. I'm sure it'll make a lot of people happy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Setup And Technical