Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: 650 D Neck Pickup Problem
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:43 am 

I've got a bit of an issue, and I'm hoping some of you can help me out a bit. I've had a 650 Dakota for a couple of years and have played it pretty hard with excellent results. When I plugged it in today, though, it sounded a bit different. As I played around with it, I realized that the neck pickup was all quiet and "twangy" with no bottom end at all. The bridge pickup is now way louder and deeper than the neck, and when they're both engaged it's slightly deeper still, but still nothing compared to what it used to be. It's almost like the neck pickup has turned into a single coil, or something.

I obviously tested the tone and volume knobs (which all function) and the pickup selector (which still has distinct differences between bridge, neck, and both positions). I took everything apart and tested the wiring connections to the pickup and the knobs, but everything seems solidly soldered to my untrained eye.

Any ideas?

Post subject: Re: 650 D Neck Pickup Problem
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:02 am 

Welcome to the forum, Ryankself. You're going to need to check that suspect pickup with an ohmmmeter, to try and determine whether one (or both) of the coils has shorted. Using the pickup selector switch to isolate the pickup, the ohmmeter should read between 12k-15k ohms if both coils are good.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:51 am 

Where do I touch the ohmmeter to the pickups? I have opened the guitar up and removed the pickup, and I see a bunch of different wires going into the pickup with different colors. I also see two blades and a magnet in between. I haven't actually disconnected the wires from the controls, though, so it's just dangling there.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:33 am 

Dude,

Read the thread "Help! Neck pup not working!"

I had the same problem about 2 months ago or maybe sooner. You can't really access the wiring on the pup itself as it is not designed for you to be able to isolate the coils by yourself. This is what Kenny Howe's at Ric service told me after I tried.

What kind of an ohm reading do you get off the vol control wide open with the neck pup selected?

Compare that to the bridge pup reading.

My neck pup was bad & I had to send my Dakota back to Santa Ana soo they could change it out. They turned it in like a day or so. Came back perfect...though my selector switch has been acting a bit flaky as of late...I fixed that myself though.

Sounded just like your description...

Mark

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:43 am 

Sounds very much like my problem. Looks like it's a new pickup for me... Thanks for the help, y'all.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:36 am 

The schematic for the RIC humbucker pickup is available on this website under the 'Service' tab. Go to 'Schematics', then 'Guitar Schematics'.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:34 am 

Ryan,

Have you ohmed anything out yet?

Mark

Post Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:12 am 

If I'm doing it right, the ohms are way lower on the neck pickup. I'm having a hard time figuring out if I'm testing in the right places, though. I'm thinking I'll take it by a local shop to check it out and fix it up for me. Apart from playing the thing, I don't really know jack about fixing up the electronics and don't know how comfortable I am diagnosing or soldering such a nice piece of equipment.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:43 am 

Understood...I hope you get your Dakota back rockin' soon!

Mark

Board index » Setup And Technical