Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: 360 string buzz (again)
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:54 pm 

I know this sort of question has been asked a lot but I'd appreciate any help to the specific problem that I have...

I just brought a lovely lefty 360 6-string, which came with some pretty old strings. They looked like 10s and when playing I had no problem with string buzz. I down-tuned the guitar to D, which is my normal tuning, and again - as far as I can remember - no string buzz. But then I changed the strings for a new set of d'addario 10s and now get a fair bit of buzz on the low strings. I originally thought that it must either be because the new strings were slightly heavier - though I'm not sure that they are actually heavier. I've fiddled with the bridge to raise it a bit, but still get buzz. I can raise it some more, but don't want to have the strings too high - basically I want it to play like it did with the old strings. So:

1) is this the sort of thing that can be changed simply by putting on ricky strings or should standard d'addarios work fine?

2) Are there any problems for downtuning this sort of guitar and whats the best set up to use for tuning in D?

3) Is there any chance I might have done something to the neck, since when changing the strings I took all the old ones off to give the guitar a clean before putting on the new ones?

4) Is a certain amount of buzz normal for this guitar and might I just be misremembering what it sounded like before? It still sounds great through an amp, its just a bit annoying when strumming without an amp...

Cheers.

Post subject: Re: 360 string buzz (again)
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:44 pm 

Welcome to the forum Si-fitz. The answer to all four questions is the same - no. You bought a Rick with unknown strings on it. You have to assume that by changing strings, you're changing brands and/or gauges. So your first order of business is to check for neck bow.

The vast majority of Ricks work best with an absolutely straight neck (no bow). Use a metal 24" scale (ruler) to check neck straightness. Place the scale on edge across the frets on one side of the neck, and adjust the truss rod for that side if needed. No more than a quarter turn either tightening or loosening. Now do the same check/adjustment for the other side. If you adjusted either or both truss rods, you must wait 24 hours for the neck to 'set'. Go ahead and play the guitar - It will help the neck settle in. After settling, check both sides again. Repeat the above until the neck is nice and straight (scale lies flat on all frets).

The above procedure assumes that you have a 1985 or newer guitar. If your Rick is older than 1985, the procedure for adjusting truss rods is different - This is important. Once your neck is straight, adjust your bridge for lowest possible action with no fret buzz. Finally, adjust your intonation, and you should be all set. Fret buzz is not normal on any guitar (especially a Rickenbacker!), and you should not have to do anything different for downtuning to D.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:15 pm 

Thanks! So assuming that the neck is straight, its just a case of getting the bridge height and intonation right, yeah?

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:27 pm 

That should do it. Let us know if you have any problems - We'll help you work through it.

Board index » Setup And Technical