Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: Colors, colors, colors!
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:36 pm 

Hello all---

I just registered, though I've owned a Ric since 1985---and I have a question about finish colors.

One of the Rics I have, I am selling ( :(, yeah I know). But I cannot name the color; it is non-standard.

The bass was made around 1989 (I haven't looked up the serial number yet) and is a very dark blue that looks deep purplish when in direct sunlight. It has all black hardware (including the often missing bridge pick-up cover) and black binding. What do I call the color so I can accurately describe it?

Thanks---

Post subject: Re: Colors, colors, colors!
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:54 pm 

Midnight Blue. I have a 620 in the same scheme. Where in WV are you? I'm in Beckley.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:08 am 

Rio on the Hampshire/Hardy County line. Beckley's another world compared to this area.

I was told the bass was Midnight when I bought it, but then I've seen others calling a much lighter blue "midnight" so it got me wondering.

My main Ric is a 73 Fireglo checkerboard.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:16 am 

The lighter blue was earlier, "Azureglo" I think. Nice to see a fellow mountaineer here.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:30 am 

strumvogel - can you post links to the pics of the bass when you get to the point of selling - I'd like to see that configuration, sounds beautiful!

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:01 pm 

Quote:
strumvogel - can you post links to the pics of the bass when you get to the point of selling - I'd like to see that configuration, sounds beautiful!

Yes---and it is a beautiful bass in nearly pristine condition. When I look at it and pick it up I have second thoughts about selling it. The sound is a bit brighter than my 73 Ric, too. But, I haven't room to have it out, which means I have to store it away---which means I will rarely play it because I am too lazy to rummage around pulling it out to play. It ought to be played (as any Ric should---they should not be "furniture" alone) so I am letting it go. The only reason the 73 got the nod was the checkerboard binding.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:04 pm 

Quote:
The lighter blue was earlier, "Azureglo" I think. Nice to see a fellow mountaineer here.

That's what I tried to tell a seller (who doesn't know anything about any basses anyway---a seller not a player) and he says that it is "azureglow", basically because it looks like his definition of azure (nevermind that azure is described in several shades of blue.

Hey, great to see another mountaineer as well---are you like the vast majority and play bluegrass or country, or do you have *shudder* rock leanings?

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:43 pm 

Quote:
Hey, great to see another mountaineer as well---are you like the vast majority and play bluegrass or country, or do you have *shudder* rock leanings?

:D
I'll tell some of my friends about your question, they'll get a kick out of it. I absolutely HATE country. I won't even eat at a restaurant that plays it. I've played mostly heavy rock over the years, but I also play in the worship band at church.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:44 am 

If your blue bass was made in '89, then it would have to be Midnight Blue. The difference is in the type of paint. Azureglo (and there are lighter and darker versions of this, too) is a solid opaque blue. Midnight blue is a translucent blue over silver, in essence a metallic blue. Again, there are light and dark variations through the years. 1985 was the transition year between the two, with both being made that year according to the color chart on The Music Connection/Rickpage website:

www.the-music-connection.com/ricinfo.htm

I urge anyone who is interested in tracking the age and color of their Ricks to view the charts there. Very handy.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:10 am 

As requested by Johnallg, here is an eBay link for my Midnite Blue Ric for the pictures. I just put it down, after looking at the serial number for someone, and after playing it for awhile because I had it out (I really shouldn't do that, because I start thinking of keeping it and how I don't need to sell it, etc., etc.). I'd keep it, but for my 73 FG 4001 checkerboard. Oh well----

As you can see in the pictures, its a beaut...

Here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

Board index » Just Basses