Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: Sugestion: graphite reinforcement bars
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:06 pm 

Why Rickenbacker don't use graphite in your necks? It would be a very good ideia. What do you think about? Thanks

Post subject: Re: Sugestion: graphite reinforcement bars
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:03 pm 

Or they could just use dual trussrods for additional strength and the ability to fix twists... hey! wait! They do that! ;-)

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:25 pm 

Quote:
Or they could just use dual trussrods for additional strength and the ability to fix twists... hey! wait! They do that! ;-)

I know. But some reviews talk about twists in the 4003`s necks, howover I dunno if it is true .

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:25 pm 

If it is true it's due to misadjustment that can be easily fixed with the dual trussrods. Graphite bars won't help with twists, they add strength for using VERY heavy strings or extended range basses (6 or more strings) and reduce weight.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:06 pm 

4003 necks do not need graphite reinforcement bars. Those bars might even change the sound of the 4003 somewhat. The dual truss rod system works well to keep the neck from twisting. I have several Rick basses from '73 to '04, they are well maintained, their necks are fine.
Any instrument that is not well maintained and or kept in an environment that is not good for instruments is prone to have problems, including neck twists.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:35 pm 

I have a 76 4001 which had a broken neck due to me droping the bass. We glued it back together and it still plays today. I believe the two truss rods saved this bass.I have three rics from 76 to mid 80's and have had no problems with the necks. I also had a ibanez musician bass which the nect did twirst. It had only one truss rod and it was a neck thru bass.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:48 pm 

Graphite bars are not a cure-all. I had a bass with graphite bars, and the neck developed a really bad bow that required more and more truss rod tightening over time.

Some say graphite bars can help with dead notes, but I don't have a dead spot on my 4003. Over at the Carvin forums, (and Carvin uses graphite bars in their basses) there was a thread about dead spots on Carvin basses in the "usual" places (around the 5-6th fret on the G string). So again, not a cure-all.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:52 pm 

Quote:
Graphite bars are not a cure-all. I had a bass with graphite bars, and the neck developed a really bad bow that required more and more truss rod tightening over time.

Some say graphite bars can help with dead notes, but I don't have a dead spot on my 4003. Over at the Carvin forums, (and Carvin uses graphite bars in their basses) there was a thread about dead spots on Carvin basses in the "usual" places (around the 5-6th fret on the G string). So again, not a cure-all.

I've seen the same things on the Fender forums.

............could the graphite be the culprit?

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:12 am 

Quote:

I've seen the same things on the Fender forums.

............could the graphite be the culprit?

Fender necks are notorius for deadspots, especially the D note at the 7th fret of the first string. That deadspot is the reason why Fender changed the headstock in the late 50's (I think it was '57) from the tele shape to the shape most Fender bassists are now familiar with. The idea was that hopefully the extra mass on the head would help with the sustain of that D note. The dead D note on my '76 Fender Preciaion frustrated me to the point of selling it. I don't know if the graphite rods in the Fender MIA basses fixed the problem. The last time I tried a new Fender P bass in a music shop about a year ago, the deadspot D note was there.
None of the Rick basses I've ever owned had a deadspot.
About a year ago, I thought one of my Rick basses developed a deadspot, but it turned out to be just a bad string.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:58 am 

here's a link to some info about necks and truss rods on the warmoth web site ...

http://www.warmoth.com/bass/necks/necks ... truss_rods

Board index » Just Basses